Safe Insect Spray?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I do a lot of work in a small utility room in my basement. Since retirement I am in there almost 8 hours a day.
So as not to ignore my Conure, I have him down there with me in his travel cage (which is open) sitting on a large window sill.
Obviously he has food and water but his dropped food is bringing ants to the sill and the cage.
Is their any safe and effective way to deter the ants?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm assuming you are talking about the small ants, sometime referred to as 'sugar ants'. There is no question that eliminating the attraction is the first place to start. My good friend above has provided you an excellent way of addressing it at the source.

But! You really need to also address the area outside around your home, by removing all plants that contact the exterior of the home and also, work to slop the soil so that rain does not run toward your home. This helps in reducing moisture sitting along your foundation. Rain gutters are also important as they also so direct water away from the home. Repair any and all foundation cracks and openings around windows and doors. With a Spray Bug Killer that targets ants spray a defensive shield on your foundation, window sills, doorways and porches.

Larger ants suggest other problems, like carpenter ants, etc.

The exterior barrier is something that will be needed a couple times this time of year and once again in mid-late Fall.

NOTE: Grandkids! As you are cleaning up after their visit, it is a great idea to clean as noted above and reset the exterior barrier as the kids have gotten goodies near everywhere.

Last edited:
OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I use white vinegar to wipe the floor and clean

That’s how I clean his cage with 50/50 vinegar and water.

I'm assuming you are talking about the small ants, sometime referred to as 'sugar ants'. There is no question that eliminating the attraction is the first place to start. My good friend above has provided you an excellent way of addressing it at the source.

But! You really need to also address the area outside around your home, by removing all plants that contact the exterior of the home and also, work to slop the soil so that rain does not run toward your home. This helps in reducing moisture sitting along your foundation. Rain gutters are also important as they also so direct water away from the home.

The exterior barrier is something that will be needed a couple times this time of year and once again in mid-late Fall.

I live in a townhouse and have all cement around house. And yes, I am referring to the small ants. I get them every spring for a couple weeks and then they disappear. This was even before I got my Conure so MAYBE this will go away on its own in a few weeks. But in the meantime, I will spray around the foundation.
Thanks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, every Spring, you will need to create a barrier as they have a track that leads to whatever opening they have found. With luck after three to four years that track will disappear and your problem will disappear for a few years and like magic, you will spot them again.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
those Terro baits are semi safe if you put them in places the bird would never have contact with (like in baseboard etc)...You don't want him ingesting or touching the bait.
Avoid sprays in general unless it is vinegar-- even essential oils indoors are not really safe for parrots for respiratory reasons.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I find that a squirt of one of those sprays made to control bird mites and lice also kills ants stone dead. I've never actually used it on my birds but it works an absolute treat on ants!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Every spring , we use these little blue pellets of slow release ant deterrent liberally distributed all around the periphery of our house. We do that 2X a year. IT keeps the ants at bay, creating a barrier to them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts