safe paint

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
What would be a bird safe paint for wood? Something that if they chew on it a little its not going to hurt them? Does such a paint exist or should I just go with plain wood? Maybe stain it with food coloring xD

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Staining with food coloring is the best bet for anything intended to be a toy! Make sure you use food coloring that is plant based and all natural, and not the kind that has numbered, artificial dyes! King Authur Baking has a great article about it.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
It wouldn't be a toy but it would be something the birds have access to. Lincolns has never had an issue with chewing on non-toy wood but the little birds are gonna be getting some more freedom soon and I want to make sure if they do chew it, it won't make them sick.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It wouldn't be a toy but it would be something the birds have access to. Lincolns has never had an issue with chewing on non-toy wood but the little birds are gonna be getting some more freedom soon and I want to make sure if they do chew it, it won't make them sick.
I like the idea of food coloring for the wood. It's used in pine most of the time I think for bird toys and I wouldn't use pine for the cage because it's so soft and chewable. I don't know how well it would stain harder woods that aren't as absorbent but you could test it on a piece.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'm not using pine for a cage? I'm not building a cage at all. It's just a project I have that the birds will have access to and I don't want them to get sick if they chew it.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I just need to know if there's a safe paint that if they chew it it won't hurt them. Thats all I'm wanting to know.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Paint and Birds. Long story and far too many charts later; as a general statement NONE!
Repeated coats of baby safe food coloring will provide an ever deeper color.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Food coloring it is then. Now to decide on a color and find an obscene amount of dye!

Though maybe if I just go with black I can use activated charcoal. That would be easy...

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
i just read an article that claims ECOS pet dwellings paint is safe to use on anything a bird could potentially ingest. In fact the inventor has a video of him eating an entire tablespoon of the paint. I’ll attach the link below.

Most Reactions

Latest posts