Safe pans for my conure

Wins

Dec 9, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Hello!

I am getting my little pineapple conure soon from the breeder and Iā€™m just preparing as much as I can before she comes home!

I know the non stick pans are bad for them but Iā€™ve been getting a mix review on it.

Iā€™m going to be keeping my bird in my room and have her only out when no one is cooking so between the hours like morning till 5/6pmish.

I have two kitchens that are both in use, one on the main floor and one on the second floor some what beside my room, we mainly use woks to cook and sometimes the pans, will my bird be okay in my room whenever someone is cooking? Even if the stove fan thing is on.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Cast iron , ceramic/enamel coated and stainless steel are safe .

Anything labled non stick but with no specifications as to what will generally be ptfe /pfoa coated (aka Teflon).

Telflon isnt safe to use around birds , even if they are in another room or on another floor , extractor fans wont remove the chemicals from the air and while it wont really have an affect on use , it can and does have have a deadly affect on birds because they are very susceptible to chemicals due to having much more delicate airways than what we have .

When i bought albie home i replaced all my cook and bake ware with cast iron and stainless steel as i couldnt take the risk of harming him.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Agreed - any nonstick chemical on pans or baking trays is risky no matter where they are in the house. I personally think they're also unsafe for people and the planet as they never break down.

My wok is carbon steel instead of nonstick. It needs to be oiled like cast iron would but it works really well. I also have started cooking at lower temperatures and save the high heat dishes for summer when I can cook outside - I'm in a small house that's closed up for winter though so I'm probably more careful about smoke/oil getting in the air than if I lived somewhere different.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I shared this once before, but it should help @Wins, too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts