Safe shower cleaners?

GretcheNicole1987

Oct 27, 2022
Idaho
Parrots
A hybrid Sunday Conure
My conure showers with me daily. She likes to sit on her perch while the water mists her. She's been with us for about 4 months. I need to clean my shower this weekend and realized I am not sure what type of cleaner I can use/ make that will be safe for her? Thanks!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
A mixture of vinegar and water would be a great shower cleaner and would be safe. I use it to clean Ona’s cage.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
A mixture of vinegar and water would be a great shower cleaner and would be safe. I use it to clean Ona’s cage.
I use bleach and water (separate from vinegar) to kill mold and germs in my bathroom.

A lot of bathroom cleaners are really stinky and I hate to use them. But scouring powders aren’t too smelly and can be rinsed away if you have grime.

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
I use a mix of white vinegar, water and a dash of clove oil. Vinegar is the disinfectant and clove oil is the anti mould. Bleach does nothing to mould regardless of what all the ads say, just changes it's colour. I lived in the tropics for many years and this is what is used. Washes away easily in water, and just use a bit of elbow grease. My tiel has never had a problem with this and she usually showers with my husband although these days she's more interested in sitting on the heated towel bar.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I use a mix of white vinegar, water and a dash of clove oil. Vinegar is the disinfectant and clove oil is the anti mould. Bleach does nothing to mould regardless of what all the ads say, just changes it's colour. I lived in the tropics for many years and this is what is used. Washes away easily in water, and just use a bit of elbow grease. My tiel has never had a problem with this and she usually showers with my husband although these days she's more interested in sitting on the heated towel bar.
A 10% bleach solution absolutely kills mold, bacteria, viruses and other living organisms. That's why chlorine and chloramines is used to make drinking water safe and pool and hot tub water safe to swim in. I have a BS in Medical Laboratory Science and that's how I first learned about the antiseptic properties of chlorine bleach. It certainly has nasty fumes, even the scented kinds so I'm not recommending you use it near your birdies.

Most Reactions