Safety around tv?

Moseysgrandma

Dec 29, 2019
Mosey’s mew favorite spot is on top of the tv while her mom plays video games. She’s up there a lot, and it’s been fine, but tonight I realized that she often flys up there after taking a bath, so she’s soaking wet. I’m concerned she could get shocked one of these times??? :gcc:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Water and electronics not a good match, it is possible a very wet Mosey may cause a shock. Parrots love to chew, beware the wires attaching to wall outlets!

Is it possible to give Mosey a small portable playpen near the TV? They just love being the center of attention!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very true: "Water and electronics not a good match...". But...

I'm assuming you're referencing a newer 'flat screen' style TV, either standing on their own platform or wall mounted. As a group, they are 120 VAC North America, or 220 VAC Internationally with low voltage components, but still high enough to cause damage if droplets of water flows down the back and into a vent. Once inside the droplet likely finds it way onto a PC Board and fries the board, resulting from the droplet causing a 'short' between pathways, which trashes the TV.

Very likely that the Parrot will not feel any effect even if a stream develops from the Parrot to the electrical connection within the TV. The reason is much like wild Birds sitting on Power Wires. The danger occurs when the bird makes connection with a grounded surface, which creates a 'short' circuit.

The second danger is if the Parrot uses its beak to compress the screen. This commonly results in a minor crack, which trashes the TV.

Then there is the power cord! These are very dangerous to Parrots as when they chew the cord, they commonly create a 'short' circuit between the ground wire and the power wire. This commonly results in burning of the bill or out and out killing the Parrot.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Mosey’s mew favorite spot is on top of the tv while her mom plays video games. She’s up there a lot, and it’s been fine, but tonight I realized that she often flys up there after taking a bath, so she’s soaking wet. I’m concerned she could get shocked one of these times??? :gcc:
Birds generally like to perch and very calm after a bath. Provide a tree stand, or playstand instead of the TV.
BIrds dont make good conductors. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance bypassing the bird. Hence reason they can stay on high voltage lines and doesn't affect them. bird touched the ground while sitting on the wire. It is a different story if they happened to touch direct ground neutral wire while sitting on one of the live phase wire. Wild birds know better, they even keep generally wings distance so when they have to fly off. They stay on high tension lines looking for food below, and the megavolt lines for heat.

Now as far a TV no risk of electrocution to the bird, except maybe if they chew on power cord and like just a shock and hole, or chip in beak, more then anything? TV can get ruined due to corrosion of component's on board due to water and moisture, plus bird can crack TV by biting frame and screen if newer thin bezel type.

Most Reactions

Latest posts