Sam Has A New Home

OhNo

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Blue Amazon
Sam is a 34 year old Blue Amazon. The Mother of the woman we got him from had passed away and her husband did not like Sam at all..... He was purchased as a three year old and live with the lady for 28 years, left to the daughter for last three years. He had lost right eye landing in a tree during a free flight session years ago. He has an extensive dialogue.

Sadly the hoe situation left Sam needing a new home. While we have had many a variety of pets (Dogs, Cats, Ferrets, Hamsters and yes birds) Sam is the largest avian we have taken in to look after. He came with a list of foods he likes and the standard warning of things to never feed a Parrot. Don't forget we are rural and the closest supplier is 200km away...

He only had to travel 150km but it is winter, he minimized the stress and exposure to stressors as be we could. Once in the house he stepped up to the door of the travel carrier immediately and talked for a bit. He came out on his own within a half hour and had a little bit to eat while we set up his cage. He didn't step up for the other owner but would step on to a stick without issue. He entered his cage willingly.

We obviously didn't put his dishes on the correct orientation but he found what he wanted, and to my relief he had a good drink. Not wanting to stress or push him too far we will let him be unless he asks to interact. He is nor clipped but since he had his accident he hasn't flown. He apparently hasn't had great relationships with men, but he maybe hasn't met people like me before. Like all critters more than people....

Re realize he is in the mid to later stages of life but we can offer him a great remainder if he lets us. Trust me I have questions, lots of questions but with winter here I have lots of time to organizing them. I trained show horses for a good part of my younger years always a challenge to understand of non-speaking friends. If you listen they'll tell ya.....

Thanks for letting me in and be part of your community
Brent

OP
O

OhNo

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Blue Amazon
Sorry, I didn't explain Sam's age well. He is 34 years old. There seems to be mixed opinions of the life expectancy of all species of Birds, thus the reason I am here! Opinions and facts from experienced owners. "Owner" is a subjective term, IMO any pet has to become a Family member.....

We could tell the previous owner was extremely sad giving up Sam. I was considering sending her a report, but my wife suggested we wait. Didn't have to wait long, she texted and I filled her in. She was glad I responded in full detail. Set her at easy as much as we could.

Sam seems to be full of surprises, a few words to those nasty male people from him made the drive worthwhile. He seems willing to make the best of the situation. As with anything goals and ambitions aren't a race. Anything that is done well and with compassion takes TIME. I nave an abundance of time.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. As a fellow Amazon snob, I strongly suggest that you and the family read (and read with comprehension) the 2 threads at the top of our Amazon sub-forum. Amazons, among all the parrots, wear their feelings on their sleeves so to speak. If you understand their body language, they will always telegraph how they are feeling and if they want to interact or not. The other thread is I Love Amazons, and contains ESSENTIAL information on living and loving Amazon parrots. A great way to acclimate your new 'Zon is to sit close by his cage and read out loud in a soothing but animated voice. The I Love Amazons thread is a good candidate for that. Can;t stress how much good solid info is in there - written by one of our most respected members and a true Amazon guru, Sailboats. I am sure he will comment on your thread.

PLease do not hesitate to ask questions on here, we would rather answer a question a million times over rather then to have one unanswered and possibly bring harm to the parrot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
PS - training parrots is totally different then working with horses. I worked for 3 years at a dude ranch, breaking in new horses for the guests, so I do know the difference. Parrots have access to the full range of emotions and feelings that we experience, hold grudges quite well, are very intelligent. Parrots are all about trust, so every thing you do should be measured against that - does this build trust or take away same.

Most Reactions

Latest posts