Say hello to my new baby, Ember!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's been a long wait, but I finally have my new baby bird! Say hello to Ember, a male pastelface pearl cockatiel born on March 30, 2018 (almost 4 months old).

We had him shipped via airplane to us from a trusted breeder. His flight was only two hours and then a three hour drive home. He did great! He didn't make a single peep at all.

After we got home, I opened the carrier and he stepped right up onto my hand and looked at me with these big black innocent eyes. It was love at first sight for the both of us. Not once has he tried to bite me, because I don't think he knows how to. It is clear he is very well socialized. He is extremely calm and tame -- he will gladly step up onto my finger every time I ask and he just wants to sit on my shoulder and snuggle against my neck. For being a male (I have the DNA and hatch certificate) he is SO quiet. Maybe he's still coming out of his shell but I've only heard him chirp about 2-3 times, and they were soft baby chirps. He loves being petted and stroked on his neck and back. The breeder had the nickname 'mellow yellow' for him and it's stuck. He is so calm.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_Ee4vLwtw"]Pastelface pearl cockatiel named Ember - YouTube[/ame]

He has been with us for 4 days now and he seems to be adjusting well to his new home, big new cage and brother bird Boo. He is pooping (and oh boy is he, I went through 4 shirts yesterday) , eating and drinking and Boo seems happy to have another bird around, he'll follow him up and down the perches (separate cages) to be near him. There has been zero aggression between the two birds, which is a good sign they'll get along in the future. But I'm pretty sure Boo thinks he's a lady bird and is still in 'finding a new mate' mode, as he keeps doing heart wings, singing to him and has shown increased aggression towards me. Boo doesn't want to come out of the cage if Ember is in the other side of the cage but will scream if I take Ember out of view. I have not yet let them meet face to face and will likely wait at least until hormones aren't so high with Boo.

While I would normally suggest to quarantine a new bird, Ember is not being quarantined for a couple reasons. There is no way I can do a proper quarantine in my house as its sort of one big open space. We have no separate room or basement to keep him in that would have separate ventilation. And I am not going to move him to another building, I don't have the resources for that. I also trust my breeder in that my bird is healthy. 4 days, so far, so good! I am keeping an eye on his weight and weighing him on a gram scale every couple days. He has a wellness check with our vet scheduled.

He has a purple leg band on with the code (for future reference in case he is ever lost): MAM OK 18 12

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow, look at that face. Exotic, and beautiful. Congratulations.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh hello, Ember. I love you! You’re so beautiful and sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
What a cutie! The way you're describing his personality really reminds me of Berry. Gentle, mellow and sweet. What a splendid little bird!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
So adorable!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a beautiful and sweet new addition! Ember seems a great fit with your flock.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Awe, what a gorgeous little boy! So beautiful...and such a cute little face with those big, black eyes! Congrats, I'm so happy for you!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Welcome Ember! My new baby (Paris) was born on March 3rd so they're around the same age. It's nice to have someone else getting a birdie at the same time and same age as I did.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome home Ember :D BB was quiet when he came home with me too when he was 4.5 months old..that lasted about a week! Now he whistles his heart out every day :D

Jim

Most Reactions