Scared moluccan cockatoo need help

birdlover1234

Mar 14, 2021
I have two birds currently umbrella cockatoo and moluccan cockatoo ( new member) the moluccan cockatoo is currently 3 years old and it seems to be scared of human beings but on some occasions it allows females to touch her because previous owner Caged it for almost one year without human interaction. My umbrella cockatoo and moluccan preens each other all the time but when I or any male member tries to interact with her(moluccan) she gets extremely scared and flys to its cage and goes inside. It hates coming out of it's cage but it takes treats or fruits from our hand so we will leave it alone. I would love to know what I can do to gain the trust of the bird and it comes out of the cage and stands in it's perch for some time but as soon as she sees any male she goes back inside
Thank you

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
How long have you had the U2?
How long have you had the M2?

How old is the u2?

How large are their cages?
do you have them in 2 cages?

What is their sleep routine (they need 12 hours nightly to regulate mood, immune health and hormones.

Do they have any access to shadowy spaces, huts, boxes, under blankets, under furniture, etc? If so, remove that access, as it can be a hormonal trigger which impacts behavior.

Are you saying the M2 never reacts to women that way and that it is only men? or is it humans in general?

OP
B

birdlover1234

Mar 14, 2021
I had Umbrella cockatoo for almost one year and it's around 1 and half years old its very bonded to my family.
We keep two birds at different cages the size of the cage for moluccan I don't know exactly the size but it's a fairly big in size.
We try our best to give it's 12 hour routine but the moluccan is always cautions and doesn't sleep properly as the umbrella
It allows females to pet it and at starting it gets scared whoever approaches her.but never allows any male member touch it but she doesn't bite anyone at all. She just moves away when she's scared .

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
With a bird like this i would try and increase confidence in all areas. Increase interaction with the environment.

So I would have lots of perches in the outside sides and top and front of cage. With lots of easy to shred chew and destroy stuff. Lots and lots of textutes, shapes.

I would get her foraging. Give her big hunks if veggies to destroy too. There lots out there fir foraging ideas. Get a wide variety of veggies, leafy greens, sprouts, soaked and cooked legume, lentils, berries, fruit, nuts. Not only is healthy, it has a huge impact on the mind.

Then I would teach target training. Shirt and sweet training sessions work best with burds, dint do more than 5 reps. Then do something else.

This whole approach has a big impact on behavior.

This is a great article with lots of great ideas.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Most Reactions