Scary and unexpected - dangerous avian diet items?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
First, much of this info comes from the chicken-raising world. But since chickens are avians, itā€™s useful. Chicken raising is big business, so there is a lot more published research about commercial poultry diets than about companion bird diet. I thought it would be worth sharing some info, because there are many discussions about birds with strange health and digestive issues, and many ā€œrecipesā€ for improving their diets.

Turns out that some things which are very good for us are very bad for birds. For example, indigestible starches (polysaccharides) can be good for people who donā€™t get enough fiber in their diets by creating intestinal goop to keep things moving. But birds digest starches differently, and the resulting goop can cause overgrowth of bad gut bacteria and interfere with nutrient absorption. And birds require different ratios of vitamins/minerals for balanced absorption, and supplementing a commercial diet with them can cause problems.

So here are some links, and I am curious to know what more details people can findā€¦

1. An article about a flock of chickens who began to sicken and die after being changed to a new ā€œenhancedā€ diet, and another that goes into a bit more detail. TL;DR: oatmeal, diatomaceous earth and vitamin/mineral supplements can kill birds. We are talking about well-meaning owners trying to improve the health of their birds with stuff thatā€™s good for humans.

2. A scientific explanation of why some forms of polysaccharides (like those found in oatmeal and barley) can harm avians. The reason has a lot to do with the avian immune system, which is quite different from our own. This article has a very detailed description of the avian immune system:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
First, much of this info comes from the chicken-raising world. But since chickens are avians, itā€™s useful. Chicken raising is big business, so there is a lot more published research about commercial poultry diets than about companion bird diet. I thought it would be worth sharing some info, because there are many discussions about birds with strange health and digestive issues, and many ā€œrecipesā€ for improving their diets.

Turns out that some things which are very good for us are very bad for birds. For example, indigestible starches (polysaccharides) can be good for people who donā€™t get enough fiber in their diets by creating intestinal goop to keep things moving. But birds digest starches differently, and the resulting goop can cause overgrowth of bad gut bacteria and interfere with nutrient absorption. And birds require different ratios of vitamins/minerals for balanced absorption, and supplementing a commercial diet with them can cause problems.

So here are some links, and I am curious to know what more details people can findā€¦

1. An article about a flock of chickens who began to sicken and die after being changed to a new ā€œenhancedā€ diet, and another that goes into a bit more detail. TL;DR: oatmeal, diatomaceous earth and vitamin/mineral supplements can kill birds. We are talking about well-meaning owners trying to improve the health of their birds with stuff thatā€™s good for humans.

2. A scientific explanation of why some forms of polysaccharides (like those found in oatmeal and barley) can harm avians. The reason has a lot to do with the avian immune system, which is quite different from our own. This article has a very detailed description of the avian immune system:

Very interesting articles, but I think you should add a warning- some of the links contain pics of intestines and stuff, I don't think all people wanna see that.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Plain oats wouldnā€™t be a healthy staple for humans either, to be fair. We eat them because theyā€™re a decent carb and you can add stuff thatā€™s more healthy & nutrient dense to them. I think if itā€™s used in chop, and itā€™s less than 10% of the chop (and the rest is nutrient-dense), itā€™s probably not going to cause the kind of issues the article is highlighting. I have only ever used uncooked oats as an add in for texture & to absorb moisture in chop, never as a main ingredient. I wonder if quinoa is also problematic, as itā€™s what I use mostly now instead of oats simply because my birds prefer it.

Giving a bird plain oats and giving a bird vitamin supplements intended for humans are also two totally different things! The only ā€œvitaminā€ supplement Iā€™ve ever been told to give our birds is benebac, and thatā€™s not vitamins, its a probiotic.

The article seems to indicate that the oatmeal ends up making up 50% or more of the henā€™s diet, and that is when it becomes problematic? I mean, that would be bad for anything, would it not? Chickens and other laying poultry also NEED nutrients to support regular egg laying, so itā€™s really important not to dilute their feed with empty calories!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I will have to give it all a read thanks for sharing.
I've fed cooked oatmeal to parrots for years, granted only about a spoonful at time, and in a rotation that probably every other month or so...So I definitely want to read thst

Most Reactions