Scented soy candles safe?

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
I came across some scented soy candles on Amazon. They said pet safe. I did a Google search and some results say soy candles are safe for birds and some say note safe. What do you think?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Without being able to see specifically which product you are viewing on Amazon, I would have to err on the side of "not". I suspect that most things labelled "pet safe" are referring to dogs and cats rather than birds. Even then I wonder if they're not just saying that in order to make a sale - but that may just be me being old and cynical ;)

Actually I went right off scented candles many years ago when one by a VERY well known brand here in Australia combusted in it's glass jar and just about burned my house down! Frightened the life out of me and I haven't bought one since!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No! Candles regardless of what they are made of, or what special this or that, which is added or not added makes no difference. The Problem is very simple, they are an open flame and feathers burn will ease and second: The gas that is produced is deadly! Plus, candles are one of the leading cause of home and apartment fires.

Do not believe me, just stop by your local fire department and let them tell you any number of endless stories of the dangers of using candles!

Most Reactions