Scissor Beak (Help??)

MintyMofoe

Jan 27, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Mace (African Grey)
I adopted a Moustache Parakeet today. He has a scissored beak (his bottom beak turns out to the left). At first I thought this would hardly be an issue. Just get it trimmed whenever it needs trimmed. However I'm reading into it and it sound more serious than I thought. I'm reading it can just continuously get worse over time and the bird will have poor quality of life and sometimes have to be exclusively hand fed.

What are all my options here? Is there anything that can fix his beak permanently? I feel so bad for him. He's such a sweet little bird. I'm trying to find a good Avian Vet that knows what they're doing in the meantime.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I adopted a Moustache Parakeet today. He has a scissored beak (his bottom beak turns out to the left). At first I thought this would hardly be an issue. Just get it trimmed whenever it needs trimmed. However I'm reading into it and it sound more serious than I thought. I'm reading it can just continuously get worse over time and the bird will have poor quality of life and sometimes have to be exclusively hand fed.

What are all my options here? Is there anything that can fix his beak permanently? I feel so bad for him. He's such a sweet little bird. I'm trying to find a good Avian Vet that knows what they're doing in the meantime.

Thank-you for bringing a special needs Parrot into you life, and also, Welcome to the Parrot Forums!

There are not very much in the way of options when it comes to Scissor Beak. At present, it really comes down to trim early and trim often. It is very important to understand that the upper and lower beck contain nerve endings in the Beak itself and even more at the base of the Beak.

It is very important that you have a true professional, an Avian Vet, define and complete this work. Accept the fact that you will be visiting your AV on a regular bases to assure that the work stays with or just ahead of the growth.

Also, accept that at some point, you 'may' need to provide some feeding. That is more likely the longer you wait before you begin and the longer between trimming. You will need to 'size' and/or 'hardness' adjust and what you feed based on your Parrot's abilities.

Again, Thank-You! for bringing a special need's Parrot into your home!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
As Sailboat posted, befriending a special-needs bird is a wonderful gesture.

Scissors-Beak can be managed with the periodic help of an avian vet. I have a 28yr old Eclectus who developed this malady about 15 or so years ago. Most likely originated in an infection to the underside of the lower beak that did not respond to treatment. She vists the AV roughly every 4 months and has treatment with a Dremel tool with a grinder-tip. Her condition has not deteriorated over the years, and her ability to eat is not compromised.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new family member, I love Moustache Parakeets, they are so beautiful and you don't see them that often, so it's great to have you both here! And I wish to also thank you for taking in a birdy that will need some specialized health care during his life.

As it was already said, the absolute best way of treating his malady and preventing any serious problems from arising in the future, including having to hand feed him, is to stay on top of his beak trims. If you have his beak trimmed often and on time, and don't let it ever overgrow, there is no reason your bird shouldn't be able to live a normal and full life. There is certainly a chance that at some point he may need to be hand fed but the chances of this are very small if you stay on top of his beak trims.

The most important thing you can do to start off is to locate a certified avian vet that has lots of experience in trimming bird beaks using a Dremel tool. As far as I've read, trimming beaks with a Dremel is absolutely the easiest, most efficient way to do beak trims, as long as it is done by a certified avian vet that knows what he's doing.

I'm not sure if they always use anesthesia to do beak trimmings with a Dremel, I've never personally had it done to any of my birds, but the videos I've seen of a vet doing this with a Dremel as well as the Dremel trimmings I've seen done during volunteer days at the rescue I volunteer at have always had the vet using gas anesthesia on the bird for a very short amount of time and with few if any side effects at all. Scott will be able to answer this question, it's a good question to ask when you do find an avian vet. Also, if you tell us where you live we can most likely give you info about avian vets in your area. There may even be other members that live in your area and have a good avian vet to recommend.

Once again welcome, please ask any questions you may have, and we want to see pics of your new guy!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The most important thing you can do to start off is to locate a certified avian vet that has lots of experience in trimming bird beaks using a Dremel tool. As far as I've read, trimming beaks with a Dremel is absolutely the easiest, most efficient way to do beak trims, as long as it is done by a certified avian vet that knows what he's doing.

I'm not sure if they always use anesthesia to do beak trimmings with a Dremel, I've never personally had it done to any of my birds, but the videos I've seen of a vet doing this with a Dremel as well as the Dremel trimmings I've seen done during volunteer days at the rescue I volunteer at have always had the vet using gas anesthesia on the bird for a very short amount of time and with few if any side effects at all. Scott will be able to answer this question, it's a good question to ask when you do find an avian vet. Also, if you tell us where you live we can most likely give you info about avian vets in your area. There may even be other members that live in your area and have a good avian vet to recommend.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree! Whether anesthesia is necessary is at the vet's discretion keeping in mind the potential for extreme stress to your parakeet.

Angel's old practice mandated anesthesia, stating she was terribly unruly. Several years ago I changed vets and brought her to a semi-retired AV. He observed her carefully, cradled her in his arms, and Dremeled away. Dr. Jeff subsequently retired, and I allied with a different practice with a board-certified AV. Same thing... a bit of observation and success without anesthesia.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
WOW! You are my latest hero.

Thank you for your generosity and kind heart in taking on this challenge.

Stick with us. We'll stick with you...

Most Reactions