ScOnni Grape wood perch

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I haven't gotten this exact perch, but another similar one, and it came the same way. Turns out there was this...coating (?) on it, not sure exactly what it was, but don't risk using it until you contact the manufacturer.

OP
Inko-ai

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
I haven't gotten this exact perch, but another similar one, and it came the same way. Turns out there was this...coating (?) on it, not sure exactly what it was, but don't risk using it until you contact the manufacturer.
Do you remember what the coating was?
I have tried contacting the seller, but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Maybe it's been sandblasted, and that's why it looks smooth?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You can get plain grapevine or wicker wreaths at craft stores or thrift shops. I have also found wild grapevines but those are kind of messy and potentially buggy. But I bet the birds would like wild grapevine “wreaths” in the fall.

Here are some other things I use to make bird toys: infant teething toys, small whiffle balls, condiment cups (like from McDonald’s) doubled or crinkled shut with a treat inside, and cardboard rolls from bandage tape. I also use peg clothespins, coffee stirrers, chopsticks, and heavy cat jingle balls (for small birds). I save tiny boxes to stuff and hang or place in cages. I have mixed feelings about toilet paper and paper towel rolls. I worry about the glue and the germs. I have baked them in the oven on about 250 F to kill germs when I had a bird who really loved them. That’s how I bake washed pinecones and branches, too.

Attachments

• 50CB505B-7AD9-4E43-B565-C7123CC11453.jpeg
    50CB505B-7AD9-4E43-B565-C7123CC11453.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 0716E51C-BA40-438D-801A-CC0DA6AD3915.jpeg
    0716E51C-BA40-438D-801A-CC0DA6AD3915.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Re: the sc0nnie grape wood perched: the coating may be some natural wax or oil that is not harmful. Why don’t you contact the makers and ask them what it is?

I went to the linked amazon page and couldn’t find a msds for this perch. I found one review mentioning a weird coating and chemical smell, and one saying they saw no coating or chemical smell. ???

I got on the “ask a question “ part of the web site and messaged an Amazon contact, asking if the perch is coated or waxed. Perhaps I will hear back. The manufacturer is in China (I think).

Last edited:
OP
Inko-ai

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Re: the sc0nnie grape wood perched: the coating may be some natural wax or oil that is not harmful. Why don’t you contact the makers and ask them what it is?

I went to the linked amazon page and couldn’t find a msds for this perch. I found one review mentioning a weird coating and chemical smell, and one saying they saw no coating or chemical smell. ???

I got on the “ask a question “ part of the web site and messaged an Amazon contact, asking if the perch is coated or waxed. Perhaps I will hear back. The manufacturer is in China (I think).
So sorry about the late reply! The reviews definitely confused me too. I did ask, but I never got a reply. Did you have better luck?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So sorry about the late reply! The reviews definitely confused me too. I did ask, but I never got a reply. Did you have better luck?
I have not gotten a reply and I see that was two weeks ago. Some of the amazon reviewers complained about a waxy coating on the perch and some didn’t.

OP
Inko-ai

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I have not gotten a reply and I see that was two weeks ago. Some of the amazon reviewers complained about a waxy coating on the perch and some didn’t.
Well, thanks for trying anyway. I'm just going to get a different perch. Don't want to risk my budgies getting sick!

Most Reactions