Screaming. Can anyone tell me how long this should last for?

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi all. I'm not sure if I have asked this before but I have tried to find out via Google the answer but it's all conflicting.
My girls are in their first hormonal phase, spring has sprung and they are screaming so loud it is hurting me. Literally.
Can anyone tell me how long this should last for?
It's not because they lack something, they have heaps of toys and I am right there with them all day, we interact and everything, so it's not for attention - it's got to be hormonal.
I know I can train them to not do it but if it is hormonal... will training actually work?
I am 57 and my hearing is age affected, but their screams are damaging my remaining hearing.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
What is the diet like? How much sleep do they get? How many toy variations do they have? Have you rearranged the cage recently? Where do you touch them? How much food do they get? Do they have any nests, huts, tents, etc.? Is their food warm? Is their food mushy? Any mirrors? What temperature is the room they are in at? Is there a certain toy they obsess over?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi all. I'm not sure if I have asked this before but I have tried to find out via Google the answer but it's all conflicting.
My girls are in their first hormonal phase, spring has sprung and they are screaming so loud it is hurting me. Literally.
Can anyone tell me how long this should last for?
It's not because they lack something, they have heaps of toys and I am right there with them all day, we interact and everything, so it's not for attention - it's got to be hormonal.
I know I can train them to not do it but if it is hormonal... will training actually work?
I am 57 and my hearing is age affected, but their screams are damaging my remaining hearing.
Those screams can be so piercing! With my Luna, who was also a IRN, she never really screamed, but the other hormonal behaviour ended within 3 or 4 weeks.
Some of my other birds are quite loud, though, and I wear ear plugs when it gets bad and that really helps. I can still hear what's going on but everything is muted.

Most Reactions

Latest posts