Screaming

Srosario001

Nov 25, 2023
Parrots
Blue quaker parrot
We have a 1 yr old blue quaker and she will not stop screaming... What can we do about it. It gets to the point we have thought about getting rid of her.

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Has the screaming behaviour started recently? If so then it is most likely due to hormones, and don't worry, it will pass. There are things you can do to stop or at least lessen while she goes through her teenager stage.

Don't let her anywhere near blankets or small cosy places especially nest boxes. Dark places will also induce hormones so avoid letting her go under furniture such as under the fridge or washing machine or under the bed to name a few.

Dont touch her anywhere apart from the head and the feet. Especially avoid patting her on the back.

Don't feed her anything warm or mushy as it mimics the food that her partner would feed her if she was in the wild and will induce more hormones.

If however it isn't hormones then you need to try and find out what is making her unsatisfied. Quite often screaming is a result of lack of attention or too much time spent in a cage. Try spending more time with her.

It's also important to not reward the screaming behaviour. Talk to her when you walk by her cage and tell your family to do so too. If she is screaming walk straight past her and dont look.
I don't like ignoring the screams as i feel bad, it is similar to letting a baby cry out. So if you dont want to do that then you can do something called a contact call. The reason african greys are so good at mimicking microwaves and phones is because they see the microwave beeping or the phone ringing and then they see us rushing to them so they think: Well if that thing gets attention by making that sound, maybe they'll give me attention if i make that sound. So give her a contact call. If there is a whistle or call that she makes, the next time she does it, give her lots of attention and repeat it until she knows its a contact call.

If it's not because of lack of attention then it could be, a new toy thats scaring her or a move of something, or a new perfume or a new decoration thats hanging near her cage.
Please don't get rid of her. She deserves to be loved through the ups and downs.
Best of luck!

Most Reactions