Screen enclosure question

rich7779

Sep 22, 2021
Parrots
Harlequin Macaw
Green cheek conure
Hi, I am a new member, but not new to owning birds, but just a curious question...
I have a Harlequin macaw, she sits on our screened in front porch in the evenings, but it's pretty small so she really can't get flight in there...however, we are having a huge screen enclosure in our back yard being put in...
my question is, can she see or detect there's a screen there, or if she takes off wanting to fly, will she most likely crash into it?
Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I routinely take my Amazon on a real estate broker type tour of the house, showing him the layout, including any windows or mirrors. I bring him up close to the window or mirror, letting him tap the offending surface with his beak so he knows its a solid surface. Sounds silly but many have done this and successfully avoided crashes into them.
Of course a scared or frightened parrot may forget all that and fly directly into the window or mirror when abruptly startled. Just happened to my Amazon a few days ago. Always a good idea to have a light gauze curtain or other visual que for the parrot to know that the surface is blocked by something.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Something to be aware of . Your little one will quickly become a target for prey birds! Hawks, crows, and larger! Once they know she’s there, the word travels fast!

OP
R

rich7779

Sep 22, 2021
Parrots
Harlequin Macaw
Green cheek conure
Hi thanks for the replies. We will not let her out there unaccompanied, but when we are out sitting we will have her playstand out, she loves watching the other birds and ducks in the pond. I will take her on laps around the screen enclosure so she can touch the screen so she knows it's there, maybe that will help.
When it's finished I will post pics.
Thanks again :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly great advice provided above. I would like to underline a few points!
- That screen will not stop your MAC from crewing a hole and walking out, so time in the large outside area is only when watchful Humans are on duty!
- You must know what is flying over head in your area as even a yearling Hawk and fly directly though standard screening. Larger Birds and your sweetheart becomes an easy target even with you there.
- Four legged eating machines also find that standard screen as momentary delay on entering the enclosure.

We live in Red Tail Hawk zone and have at least five family's that consider our back yard part of their hunting zone.

Most Reactions