Seed guard tips?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Been up for almost 2 weeks now and I canā€™t believe I didnā€™t start using these years ago! Kiwi is mercifully not a food flinger, so the vast majority of the mess is being contained:59: And the paper liners make them pretty easy to clean. Since he usually poops off the front of his cage only, thatā€™s the only paper I have to change daily. The other ones I can change once a week it seems (note, I have splash guards I custom built in the vicinity of his food/water dish, so those keep a good amount of bird detritus contained in and of themselves).

what has been up? Sorry- just curious about what ended up working. The elastic guards??

The large metal seed guards that came with the cage. Iā€™ve been lining them with paper, folded up at the bottom to catch the mess. So easy to clean! I also have large acrylic splash guards I custom built on the 2 sides of the cage surrounding his water dish, since heā€™s a daily bath taker. Those help with food a bit too, but those have been up for a couple years and did not help with the poops he makes outside his cage or the general mess that accumulates when he brings food out and eats on the top of his cage (which was my current complaint):rolleyes:

IeJG0Gl.jpg

tInEjJm.jpg
(How I fold the bottom)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great effort at getting a guard to work that was from the beginning, Not the Correct One for Your Cage.

The point where the guard slides into the cage has a cut-out on each end as they fill the slot and the cut-up rests up against the vertical corner of the cage. As a side note, the side edges that connect with each other are commonly installed with the side edges hidden under the guard's upper (exposed) surface. Two reasons, first is that it provides a more finished surface and second it is easier to clean.

Your solution is amazing and clearly works. You have clearly been raised by an Amazon! :D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
NOTE: I should have stated that a cut-out is missing with your guards.

Great effort at getting a guard to work that was from the beginning, Not the Correct One for Your Cage.

The point where the guard slides into the cage has a cut-out on each end as they fill the slot and the cut-up rests up against the vertical corner of the cage. As a side note, the side edges that connect with each other are commonly installed with the side edges hidden under the guard's upper (exposed) surface. Two reasons, first is that it provides a more finished surface and second it is easier to clean.

Your solution is amazing and clearly works. You have clearly been raised by an Amazon! :D

Most Reactions