Seed mix???

Allylang1

May 16, 2020
Parrots
Parakeets: Lucy Blue (flown to the rainbow bridge) and Desi. Yellowsided GCC: Ollie
So I’ve had my conure for about a month now. He was on an all seed diet with some fruit pellets in there. He is now eating chop like a champ and a mix of pellets: small amount of zupreme fruit ( he only eats the bananas and orange), half roudy bush and half zupreme naturals. I added the zupreme naturals because he refused roudy bush at first. I give him a small amount of seed in the evening. I am running out of the seed from the breeder... what kind of seed mix do you recommend? Trying to find one without safflower and sunflower since those are his fave (so I picked them out of what the breeder gave me) and I only use as treats. I would love to hear what you guys recommend!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are a couple of speciality shops that will custom blend a healthy wide blend of seeds, grains, select nuts, pasta and if wanted freeze dry veggies.

We use Parrot Island in Minnesota. They have connected with high-end growers in Wisconsin and provide, IMHO, some of the best dry food blends on the market.

NOTE: If you live in an area that allow outside bird feeders. Consider a high quality excellent mixed seed, grains, and more package and consider feeding your pull-outs and left behinds to the guys outside!

NOTE: Always buy enough so that you can store the new bag(s) in the freezer for a minimum of two to four weeks. Our goal is four weeks prior to removing the first week-sized freezer bag, leave the remainder in the freeze! At some point, even the very best 'DRY Food' will come with bugs... And, with the heat in North America this year could be a bumper crop! Always Freeze Prior to Use! And, always breakdown the supplied bag into weekly bags with a date packed and number 1 of XX to assure that you are rotating properly.

FYI: Coloured Pellets are a No, No, as your never know when your dear Parrot will elect to eat only one color today and tomorrow you are rushing to your Avian Professional with a ziplock containing a very different colored poop. Coloring adds nothing, but a rush to your CAV.

Last edited:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Honestly with good quality pellets you don't need seed at all. It doesn't really add anything to your birds diet that they need. Fresh fruit and veg with a good quality pellet is really all you need. I would just have a small supply of sunflower/safflower on hand for training purposes.

OP
Allylang1

Allylang1

May 16, 2020
Parrots
Parakeets: Lucy Blue (flown to the rainbow bridge) and Desi. Yellowsided GCC: Ollie
Thank you! I am hoping to get him off seed altogether and the zupreem fruit blend. He is very picky so we are transitioning slowly. I started weighing him and he was on the low side at 54 grams and he is now holding steady at 60. I don’t want him to lose weight; his keel is pretty bony, so I am still transitioning. He is eating more and more of his roudy bush though so I’m hopeful.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Most of the Conure seedmixes contain plenty Safflower seed. There are a lot without sunflower, but most Conure mixes seem to be basically Parakeet Mix Plus Safflower seed. So to get a mix with No Safflower, i'd suggest just getting a Parakeet Mix. Higgins Sunburst is a reasonable one with good "stuff" (ie dried veggies, probiotics etc)... which my own birdies simply eat around!

A nicer, slightly pricier mix is "Dr. Harvey's Our Best Parakeet Food," which I've been mostly giving my parakeets for some time now. I'd say for a good seedmix with No Safflower No Sunflower this is a really good choice.

Another good choice is the Goldenfeast blends. Their "Australian Blend" is the one designed for the smaller birds and seems to not have the Safflower seeds. (Although it Does have Sunflower - but there is so much other very good stuff in there too.)

Again - whether you get any of these particular mixes or not, I've fairly well convinced that the only way to get a seedmix with No Safflower along with No Sunflower, is to get a parakeet-mix instead.

Hope this helps! :)

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's good to feed a variety! There are some good quality seed brands out there! We feed Volkman's cockatiel sunflowerseed-less mix and Higgins Safflower seed mix. All 4 birds of mine like it and I mix it with pellets when there isn't chop ready.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
For years, Avian Vets had pushed pellets as the holy grail of Parrot Diet... Now with far more individuals feeding an All Pellet Diet, they are changing their position as an all pellet diet commonly over supplies specific Vitamins, Minerals and protein. Plus, many have far too much sugar and salt as part of the mixture. Add the issue of Colored Pellets and our CAV's and Avian Professionals are reconsidering the all pellet diet. It is important to understand that not all pellets are created equal, as with dog foods, some are far more filler (corn, etc...) than healthy food based.

Always assure that the pellets that you are providing is being mixed at an approved 'Human Grade' facility.

Today, the healthy push is toward Fresh Green Veggies (chop) with small amounts of fruit as the wet and larger side of the diet. The dry side contains high quality seeds, grains, with select nuts. To that dry base, high quality pellets, dry pasta and out of season freeze dried Veggies.

FYI: And, with some species, a diet rich in pellets are dangerous for the Parrot..

Last edited:
OP
Allylang1

Allylang1

May 16, 2020
Parrots
Thanks for all of your responses! I am definitely grateful and definitely still learning. I just want the best for my guy!

Most Reactions