Seeking Advice - Female Indian Ringneck (Male Alexandrine Questions)

tinkerpale

Nov 21, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I currently have a female Indian ringneck who Iā€™ve been working with for five years. She chose my dad as her mate, but she knows Iā€™m her caregiver. I have not lived with my parents in a while, and Iā€™ve been living with my partner for a while. I have done so much research and gone through phases of trying to train my female IRN in different ways to see what can work for her. I make sure that she has the proper diet, the proper amount of quality sleep, the proper amount of sunlight, I do not give her anything to nest in, and I eventually had her avian vet give her a shot in an attempt to calm her hormones as a last resort, etc. etc. ~ ~
Unfortunately, sheā€™s still very territorial to the point where she will lunge over and over again to try to get to my partner and me. When she bites during her territorial times, she continues to latch down harder and harder to work on the same spot, so she can do as much damage as she can. She screams so much, no matter her phases. She often wants to cuddle and kiss, but she suddenly snaps at me and draws blood on my face very often. Throughout the day, she shows me how angry she is with me, but then sheā€™ll want to cuddle (cuddle as in sheā€™ll scratch her face while I talk to her softly or kiss her beak), and then sheā€™ll snap by biting me.
I would greatly appreciate it if any of you could let me know if this is a normal experience with ringnecks or not. I have been wanting to get a male alexandrine, but Iā€™m unsure because I have tried everything with my female IRN for quite a few years now. I am concerned about the male alexandrine naturally having the same sudden and extreme constant mood swings that my female IRN has always had, and Iā€™m concerned about him learning from her to be moody in general. I would greatly appreciate any considerate and honest advice. Are Indian ringnecks and alexandrines usually this temperamental? Should I not get any more parrots because I cannot help the parrot that I have to truly be happy, no matter what I do? I love parrots and animals in general so much, so I feel sad.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am not sure what to say, except I had a female IRN who generally loathed me for 2 yrs until I rehomed her. And unfortunately she gave me some bad bites including some facial bites. Thatā€™s the only bird Iā€™ve ever had that didnā€™t like me. If I remember correctly , she didnā€™t usually allow me to scratch her head; and she screamed a lot as if she was unhappy.

Rehoming was the best for her as she immediately scrambled to her new owner. You would have thought I was mistreating her. But then again I had a Quaker that was my bff as well as a fiancĆ©. Maybe she (irn) was jealous or figured I was ā€˜takenā€™ and not worth bothering with.

It seems like your female irn is bonded to you but is very moody and hormonal. So you may have a situation different from mine.

I thought I heard that female ringnecks can be snippy and bossy. I would think that if you bring a male Alexandrine into your home that your female ringneck will definitely sexually relate to him and he will be interested in her to at least some extent.

I thought alexandrines were said to be mellower than ringnecks. But then again I see so many delightful-looking ringnecks on YouTube and wonder where I went wrong!

I hope a ringneck person weighs in because my single experience of two years is not much in the great scheme of things.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts