seeking advice on constant M2 nesting/aggression

hannah.kelley

Apr 25, 2015
Media
Richmond, VA
Parrots
one 19yo Moluccan.
My Moluccan - who I've had for 15 years - has been becoming more and more aggressive as he ages. This I expected and have worked around for years, and is usually not a problem as I can read his behavior better than anyone. But his interests are almost exclusively limited to nesting and nesting related behavior, which is of course also an aggressive, territorial one. Whatever toy I provide or distracting activity I attempt (foraging, playing "fetch," colorful stacking cups, etc...) he will destroy, dig, display and smash everything in an angry "nest building" fashion. Playtime independent of his sexual aggression seems like a pipe dream at this point.

I am not his chosen "mate" so we can actually have a good time relaxing together. (Since we kind of grew up together, his is my "avian brother"). What complicates things is that he has chosen my partner as his mate, and he cannot relax in his presence. It's rough enough when he is apart from him and still feeling sexually aggressive, but when he is around my bird simply loses it. If he disappears from sight for less than a minute, the infamous M2 screaming commences. He bites anyone who threatens his attention, including his own "mate." He has to be in his lap whispering and digging at all times, and whistles, screams and paces incessantly until he gets what he wants.

I'm at a loss on how to curb the behavior. When my partner isn't home and I take my bird away from the house (all "his things") and outside into a park, the stimulation and sunlight distracts and pleases him, and he acts like a sweet angel. But of course I can't have him outside all the time. And I live with my partner, so the behavior recommences every day.

I have had a couple face bites in the past week - both times I should have put him away earlier than I did because he was so worked up. It's just that he is always worked up, and if I left him in his cage whenever that were the case, he'd never get out! And of course I want him out and playing whenever I am home.

I am of course aware that the M2 is the neediest, most emotionally fragile bird of them all. I know they are both the cuddliest and also the most aggressive. I genuinely don't believe that they should be pets at all. It breaks my heart to think he's constantly frustrated, angry and confused. Does anyone have similar experiences with male Moluccans? Have you found a reliable way to successfully turn their attention away from nesting and aggression-fueled behavior? Is there a way to keep him from being so helplessly neurotic around his chosen "mate?"

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Moluccan. I only have experience with smaller birds but I feel your frustration on this. My dream bird is a Moluccan, and hearing things like this definitely makes me rethink this. I'm hoping some more experience members will reply with their advice on this.

You are right though, about Moluccans not being the best pets, especially at this time of year. I can only imagine what you and your partner are experiencing. When did this start happening, or did it just slowly start getting worse over time? I know male cockatoos can be particularly aggressive at breeding times. How to stop the behavior, I will have to leave it up to the experts. Hoping you find a solution to this, and soon!! Good luck!!

OP
H

hannah.kelley

Apr 25, 2015
Media
Richmond, VA
Parrots
one 19yo Moluccan.
The aggression has been building over the years. For the first few years we had him he was a complete angel, rarely, if ever, biting anyone. I suppose a lifetime of unrequited sexual tension really builds up to one frustrated bird!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Keeping a note book is a great tool for determining patterns with Parrots.

It is not uncommon for there to be an enhancement of behavior problems with the on-set of Spring Time Activities! And, for those behavior problem to set into place if not walked back by the Human's setting boundary.

This time of year, Starting in January and into June will natural bring on Mating behaviors. Commonly, a Genus of Parrots will have specific periods with individuals floating a bit earlier or later than the Group! Keeping a Journal helps greatly in understanding this time lines.

Pay very close attention to sleep habits and length of good, dark, quiet sleep periods. A Parrot that is continually on the light side of a good sleep period will continue to evolve into every greater behavior problems. I am a strong believer in matching the natural Sunlight day in your area. This will define specific time of year for mating season and likely keep it more consistent year to year.

Parrots that are displaying a downward behavioral cycle need to be moved to a 10 - 12 hour solid sleep period, sometimes a bit more. Also, take a very long look at the diet and work to move it to a very health, natural diet base. As part of that, work at elimination of Sugar! Nothing more exciting as a Too on a Sugar High.

There are several great Threads that work at limiting Mating based Behavioral Problems. But, this will at least get you started in the right direction.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi, to build on SailBoat's post above as well as the strict bedtime try and keep him busy and one way of doing this is not to abundance feed them on a plate (make it easy) and hoping you are not feeding pellets with colours? Make him seek out his food, hide it in things, if you occupy him he will behave better, his brain is too busy with the main daily occupier = food. Food in a dish under another, hanging on skewers, food to unwrap. As well as low sugar, low fat is also good. Most important to feed nutritious variety of fresh veggies, mashes, some fruits and grains, some pellets, nuts and poss a little seed. Sure I do not need to say NO human junk food. Most food once given should be gone in 15 minutes, does he eagerly anticipate feeding times? If the answer is no then, cut his rations little by little. Food fuels the need to produce, birds don't mate in the hungry Winter.

If he is really in overload mode you can try an hour or so of darkness during the day which helps them to turn off and reset.

The taking him out and about is great, well done and try to keep that up. :) Don't forget that your Avian Vet can be helpful and a health check if not had one recently is never a bad thing. To know he is fine otherwise is one box ticked.

A bird that has sound boundaries and limitations and knows where they stand often do better at these times as hormones compound confusion but one thing first.

Take care and pay close attention to those pre bite signals, I'm curious do M2's tail flare?

May be worth giving his cage a good spring clean regularly, move his toys around, swap and change them about. Some branches that are safe could work to keep him busy chewing? Have you a large play gym for him to spend out of cage time on?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts