Seeking advice re: travel, cages and insurance!

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
Hi fellow twitchers :)

I am hoping to get a baby pineapple conure towards the end of April and I have a couple of questions I'd like some advice on.

firstly, I am a temporary resident and not a permanent resident of Canada. I am going through the process of applying for my residency, and it is looking very likely that I will get it. In the unlikely event that I should have to return to England for a little while, I am wondering this:

Does anyone have any advice on, or experience with, travelling overseas with conures? I'm not worried so much about cost and paperwork as that can all be worked out. Mostly I'm thinking about inducing stress in the bird. I know Air Canada (who flies directly to my hometown) allows birds in the cabin. This is the biggest fear I have for getting a connie before I obtain my permanent residency as I wouldn't want to make her sick by travelling with her. However it is likely to be over two years before I get the PR and I don't want to wait that long!

Secondly: I'm wondering what cage size I should buy, how much to spend, and any recommended brands? She is likely to be in her cage overnight (of course) and about 6 daylight hours, 4 days a week, and all day once a week (when I work a double shift on Sundays). I work early mornings and am usually home early afternoon, so she will be out of her cage a fair amount but still I'm not certain what size of cage would fit.

Finally: can anybody recommend any insurance companies that will insure her, and how much it might cost?

Thanks for any input!

Samantha

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
When flying internationally animals usually have to be kept in cargo. Not many animals are allowed in cabin on international flights.

I've only had one bird on a plane, and she was shipped to me. It wasn't international! However, what was supposed to be a 12 hour trip ended up being closer to 37 hours. There's no doubt she was stressed! She was stuck in a small carrier for that entire time and couldn't come out. She did lose a bit of weight as well on the trip over. Still, she arrived safely and ended up gaining her weight back so she's fine.

You must also consider the import/export laws of each country. As per the link below, birds coming into England require a 30 day quarantine.

ARCHIVE: Defra, UK - Animal health and welfare - International trade - Imports - Importer information notes - IIN A/10

Not only could you be exposing your bird to a long flight in cargo, but you are then having to put your bird through quarantine.

Is it possible to do all that? Of course it is! The question is, is whether or not you feel comfortable doing that.

As far as care goes... well, something about the size of a flight cage would be good! Standard flight cages I'm talking about are 32 L x 21 W x 35 H, not including stand. Diet would be seeds, pellets (Harrison's, TOP's and Roudybush usually ones regarded as best), vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, sprouts, the occasional cooked egg, etc.

Here's a thread that talks about pet insurance, although it may be geared towards USA people.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/37354-pet-insurance-birds.html

And an article about pet insurance.

Pet insurance for birds - ParrotChronicles.com Feature Story

Another option is to either have a credit card saved *ONLY* for emergency vet funds or to set up a savings account that you put money into each week/month for health care.

OP
EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
Sorry I thought I had replied to this already!

Thanks very much for the information :) Actually, when importing PET birds to the UK there is an exemption on the quarantine if they are accompanied by their owner and not being sold (the page you linked to is archived), so as long as I had her CITES papers and vet check papers it should be fine :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I understand the long process of getting permanent resident status...it took mine 5 years to come through:(
I haven't found any insurance companies here that would insure birds. I would love to hear if you find one, though.

ScottTee

Apr 4, 2014
Florida/Canada
Parrots
Orange-winged amazon
Muffin,

I don't want to alarm you, but my advice would be that having the paperwork and $$ in place may not be enough. You might want to think about waiting to obtain a bird when you're back in Canada. For example, what would you do if you are cleared to leave for your trip, but the bird is not?

It's simpler for a dog or cat than animal that falls under CITES guidelines.

I was unsuccessful in bringing my pet amazon into Canada last year - as a result, he was at a care center in the US for four months. Believe me, I thought I had done everything necessary upfront - but it only took one unknowledgeable border agent to disrupt the process.

From the US to Canada - where it's supposed to be simpler than between other nations - there are four agencies - two on each side - plus the border agents on each side - so six bureaucracies to deal with - and subject at the end to any individual interpretation and discretion. It's easy to find experiences on line where people have had birds confiscated.

Unfortunately, there is no single organization or site I've found that clearly lists all the requirements.

I do intend to try again this year despite all this. I do wish you a much better experience that I had. I hope the relationship between Canada and England provides a simple and successful experience if you go forward.

In fact, I just joined the forum to seek experiences from others who have gone through the process.

OP
EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
Scott,

Thanks for the advice! Actually I am already in Canada, and I bought my conure here. My question was regarding taking her from Canada to the UK. I sought advice from CITES, DEFRA and Air Canada before I bought her and from what I understand there shouldn't be a problem (although it should be noted my research DID show that buying a bird from Europe and importing to north america would be more difficult than importing to europe from north america).

Also I don't think I will be returning to the UK afterall so hopefully it won't ever be an issue! ;)

Most Reactions