Seeking Female Meyers Parrot

MeyersParrotBirdMom

May 27, 2021
I am looking for a Female Meyers Parrot to Mate or Hang Out with my Male Meyers Parrot named Phoenix who is 5 years old who if funny and sweet. I am located in Southern California as well. Message me and we can have them meet up together and possible breed if you were up to that.

Renee :green2::gcc:

I have a Meyers and a Jardine's. My Meyers is a very active little sweetie. She (just guessing on the sex) loves to be cuddled and simply adores flying. She is one of my most active fliers, and is very busy. She is very quiet and doesn't say any words. My Jardine's is very laid back. She will sit on my shoulder for hours on end if I let her. I do monitor my movements towards her so as not to startle her into biting out of reflex. My Jardine's says a few words.

My Meyers came from a pet store, and was pretty much not hand tamed. However, it didn't take her long to figure out that we weren't there to harm her. My Jardine's came from a bird store. She was hand tamed and sweet towards us from day one.

I have a male Senegal, he turned 2 years-old this past September, and I brought him home from a private-breeder when he was 13 weeks old. He was hand-raised/hand-fed by his breeder (who did a wonderful job) and was a sweetie from the moment I met him...I drove 9 hours one-way to pick him up, picked him up around 9:00 p.m., checked-into the hotel around 10:30 p.m., and he slept on my chest the entire night...Then he rode all the way home, all 9-hours, in the hood of my hoodie...He's picking at my earring right now :)

I heard a lot of negative things about Senegals and the Poicephalus species in-general before I brought Kane home, and I haven't found one of them to be true. No, they are not Conures, but Kane is cuddly and snuggly and love scritches and is a little sweetie...He was a handful through puberty, only because he was humping everything, lol...He never became aggressive or bitey/nippy...

One thing that I heard that did end-up being true is that they are "one-person birds", and that is definitely the case with Kane...My mom is a life-long parrot breeder and has had my brother, a CAG, for 32 years now...And when she put her hand out for Kane to step-up the first time she met him as a baby (I'd only had him for a couple of days at that point, so it's not like he was that closely-bonded with me yet), he hesitantly stepped-up onto her hand and then turned his head around and looked at me with this look of terror that I will never forget! Lol, he was like "AHHHH, who is this? AHHHH, come get me back, come get me back, I don't like this, AHHHH!" And to this day he will step-up for someone and then immediately fly right back to my shoulder and give me the "There, I did it, was that enough?" look...He's my little man, and that's about it...but he's never bitten anyone though...He does very gently but briskly remove anyone else's fingers from him if they try to pet him, lol...Every time he just grabs their fingers in his beak and kind of "throws" them away...At least he's polite about hating other people...

Kane is a big boy, his weight hovers right around 145 grams...His sister was noticeably smaller than him when I first met them both and picked him up, I'd say she probably hovers around 115-120 grams...The Jardines that I have met have all been "taller" than Kane, not necessarily "wider", just taller...The Cape Parrots are the big-guns of the Poicephalus species, they are like 3 Senegals or 2 Lesser-Jardines...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome!

Do you understand what a disease risk this is in terms of serious pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread of deadly illness (for both birds)? There are VERY serious diseases, such as ABV, PDD and PBFD (for which there is no cure). Some circoviruses can remain viable in carpets and air ducts/hvac systems for over a year and upwards of 40% of captive parrots in the US carries a deadly virus without symptoms.. They can spread via contact with saliva, fecal matter, and most importantly, in the air (via microscopic particles of dander). Breeders don't test for them as they require expensive serology panels and often produce false negatives in asymptomatic birds (despite those birds being contagious).....An asymptomatic bird can still infect another. Add to that, the fact that the incubation period (depending on a million factors related to the strains and individual bird) can range from 1-2 weeks to 10+ years before symptoms show *if ever* (even though the bird is still contagious). So, basically, a seemingly healthy bird (including yours or your bird's "friend") could lead to fatal illness and the death of other birds as well via transmission of very serious disease.

Furthermore, breeding is EXTREMELY complicated and not nearly as simple as impregnating the bird..I truly hope you have extensive apprenticeship experience with a reputable breeder, brooders, avian hand-feeding equipment (and previous, supervised hand-deefing experience), formula+ nutritional knowledge, as well as extensive awareness of the risks for both the mother, babies, in addition to the risks this poses for YOUR relationship with your bird (egg binding, sour crop, heightened aggression, rejection of babies *if they survive..* are a few health issues that can occur). Without proper knowledge and equipment, babies and adult birds can die when when people attempt this sort of thing without knowing exactly what they are doing etc). The fact that you think a random male bird can just impregnate your bird and then leave you are removing an important part of the process (as though we were talking about mating dogs). It concerns me...(sure-- biologically, you may get fertile eggs-- but the males serve a purpose other than just spreading seed and parrots form mate bonds which are highly emotional for them). Even if you have 2, PLEASE do not just think that the birds will do the work....they can sometimes kill their own young or become terrible parents. Breeding is complicated, expensive and anything but low-risk. You will also need separate cages for all of the babies, or they will mate with their siblings/parents when of age, and then you will have an even bigger, dangerous genetic mess. It is not something that 90% of the bird owning populous should ever attempt unless they have been trained (hands-on) and are fully prepared to create extremely sterile conditions, monitor food temperature within a few degrees etc etc and the list goes on...You could end up having to do round-the-clock feedings every hour to half hour for days to weeks...I know it sounds super cool and simple-- I used to think it was too. It isn't simple .

Furthermore, you risk the potential for aggression. Just like not all human females want to partner with all human males, not all birds will like other birds and may attack if feeling threatened or jealous.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts