Seizure

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So glad you girl is doing well and sorry I don't have any good advice about getting to the vet without a fuss. But have you considered a sand perch? I use 1 for my conure but I don't leave it in the cage all the time. I put it in for about 1 week when her nails look long. I set it as the highest perch so I know it will be used and it won't get pooped on since they are hard to clean.
Some people don't like sand perches but I have been using the in this way for more than 20 yrs and never had a problem. I think part of the issue of leaving it in the cage all the time is that they are hard to clean and when they become soiled they can hold alot of bacteria
I bleach the pedicure perches when they get dirty, then soak in clean water to remove the bleach and dry in a low oven.

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
We had our visit with the vet yesterday…Debbie did have a seizure. Mild in the words of the vet. He was prepared, while I was panicked! She came through fine but ….still scary! She has been acting fine and very loving, especially for a Grey…and talking up a storm! My arms are very appreciative of the shorten nails and her wing trim has settled down her awesome acrobatic flights throughout the house. While trimming her wings is not my favorite safety aid, it was necessary to ensure she stays out of the kitchen when the stove is on!
At any rate, we will continue trying to get her more comfortable being in her “vet” crate and being handled…a challenge but keep trying!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy that things went well.
You must to remember that our Parrots lock into our emotions, your Panicking is not helpful for your Grey.
Keep working at it and you will succeed.

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
Happy that things went well.
You must to remember that our Parrots lock into our emotions, your Panicking is not helpful for your Grey.
Keep working at it and you will succeed.
Thank you…our fear was extremely controlled this trip…getting her into the travel cage went far better than ever, she sat in there and talked and whistled…until the vet came in! I have no doubt she remembered what happened last time, okay, maybe not but I’m convinced…her blood chemistry shows nothing…we have kind of determined it’s a stress issue and that is something we have/are working on…constantly.
Amazingly, she doesn’t seem to be holding a grudge….lots of kisses…lots of head scratches!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you…our fear was extremely controlled this trip…getting her into the travel cage went far better than ever, she sat in there and talked and whistled…until the vet came in! I have no doubt she remembered what happened last time, okay, maybe not but I’m convinced…her blood chemistry shows nothing…we have kind of determined it’s a stress issue and that is something we have/are working on…constantly.
Amazingly, she doesn’t seem to be holding a grudge….lots of kisses…lots of head scratches!
Poor girl. Is there anxiety medication for parrots? ( I’m embarrassed that I don’t know.). Clearly this would be a time to use it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is anxiety medication for parrots, but most Avian Vets only recommend them in serious cases and then for only a limited time as for the medication to continue to work require ever increasing doses, which lead to other problems. As a result, I tend to stay-away from them for anything more than a spot use as a means of redirection.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There is anxiety medication for parrots, but most Avian Vets only recommend them in serious cases and then for only a limited time as for the medication to continue to work require ever increasing doses, which lead to other problems. As a result, I tend to stay-away from them for anything more than a spot use as a means of redirection.
Probably worthwhile if the bird seizures every time it’s examined by the vet. But thats only hypothetical…

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
Ok.. I know about the anxiety medication…and the vet statement that I could administer gabapetine…she has only had 2 seizures…both from the anxiety of being held wrapped in a towel…in order to administer the medication she would have to be captured and held…kind of a messed up situation.
Frustration indeed! We keep working with her, attempting to desensitize her.
Work in progress…strange part, she went for her first 5-1/2 years with the same vet without any issues! And as stated before her bloodwork and examination shows no health issues!
She’s very friendly, steps up, sits on your hands, gives kisses and talks! Just hates to be wrapped up!
Thank you all for the input…trying/ tried most of them, will continue!

Most Reactions

Latest posts