Self Mutilation

ThrowawayBirdGal

Jan 7, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies
Itā€™s me againā€¦
Irene made it to the vet just fine. He gave me medication, I gave it to her. Her foot started to heal, but I noticed recently some bloody scabby bits on the foot and red in her beak. I wasnā€™t sure what the cause of the mutilation was, so last night I separated her from her partner (thinking maybe illness or another injury).
Big mistake. This morning she was so much worse. I put her back in the main cage, trying to reduce stressors now.
She has an appointment tomorrow afternoon.
Is there anything I should do until then? Sheā€™s wobbly, slow, I can tell sheā€™s weak. Iā€™m so worried.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Iā€™m so sorry that youā€™re dealing with these worrying circumstances!
I think you should provide as much warmth as possible while youā€™re at it since it could be beneficial in this situation.
Maybe provide an extra cage that is smaller for the purpose of limiting range of motion temporarily tho you did imply that your bird is not really moving too much. So this could be an option if you choose to take it.
Lastly just make sure your bird is eating at least a little bit and drinking water while youā€™re at it.
Hope your bird feels better!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Keep her warm, make sure her fav foods are available and plenty of fresh clean water. parrots are known to pick scabs on healing areas, like a lil kid does.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Keep her warm, make sure her fav foods are available and plenty of fresh clean water. parrots are known to pick scabs on healing areas, like a lil kid does.
What wrench said!
But worded more sweet, simple, and direct than me haha

OP
T

ThrowawayBirdGal

Jan 7, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies
Thank you all for your replies and assistance. Unfortunately, after the vet visit today, she went to sleep and didnā€™t wake up. I had put a numbing ointment on her leg that the vet had given me (the picking was so bad the vet said she might lose the foot). Within three hours, I came back to check on her, and she was gone. Thank you again for your help.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So sorry your little girl passed.
You have done everything to save her, poured all your love into her. Nobody can ask for more. It's just so much harder with the tiny ones.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, we all wish there was a different outcome.

Sending you love

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I offer my deep sympathy for the passing of your little one. Sometimes despite the best present day care, they leave us all too quickly. Try to always keep to good , positive memories in your heart, thats what has helped me in a similar case. In time the pain recedes and you have those - hold tight to them.

Most Reactions