Senegal Parrot - Blood Feather & No regrowth

MilkChocolateMango

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Senegal Parrot
Hello Everyone,

I hope all is well with all of you & your avian friends.

I have two concerns.

Today my Senegal Parrot slipped off my table and the longest feather on his right wing broke off. I noticed later that he was a bit quiet for a short period of time and that feather had blood on the tip of it (small dot). He's acting normal now, but the blood on the tip of the feather concerns me. Is he hurt? Is this an urgent matter that requires Veterinarian assistance? Has this ever happened to your parrots?

My second question is related to the first. His tail feathers have fallen off about a year ago and haven't grown back since. They got bent one way or another and eventually he pulled them off because they were flimsy and about to fall off. Will they ever grow back? When do parrots molt? How often? Is this something to be concerned about, possibly an infection of some sort or diet deficiency?

He just turned 1 last month and I've had him for 11.5 months, so forgive me for being new to all this.

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached photos of the feather and a top view of his back. You can see the asymmetry and can spot where the feather fell from as well as the blood on the tip of the feather.

Best,

MilkChocolateMango

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,633
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,454
Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's only a really small amount of blood, and as long as he's not currently bleeding, he should be fine. Hopefully, within 5 days or so, you'll notice a new feather growing in.

As far as his tail feathers... they appear broken, not missing. If this is the case, then once he molts out his broken tail feathers, they will be replaced with new ones.

If the feathers are in fact missing and have been missing for well over a month, then something else may be going on.

OP
M

MilkChocolateMango

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Senegal Parrot
Thank you for replying, I just saw this right now.

He's doing fine now, but more recently he does randomly lift his right wing and starts yelling and starts preening it or fixing it. He'll do this briefly and then stop, any idea what this is? Possibly a broken wing or infection?'

His tail feathers fell/broke a little before summer 2012, but there is no sign of regrowth of any sort. I checked again earlier today, still nothing.

Are both of these issues something to be concerned about, should I consult a vet?

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It may be a good idea if he's never been in for a well check up. Blood, fecals, etc. Good to use as a baseline for future exams.

Otherwise, you need to wait until he molts again, and if he doesn't regrow those feathers, then he probably needs to go in.

Young birds do tend to be clumsy birds, and do tend to be terrible with their tail feathers, hence I'm not immediately concerned. Can you get us any better photos of his tail feathers?

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
My red belly broke all his tail feather too. When I got him in October we took him to the vet and he was nutritionally deficient, particularly in calcium. The vet thinks the feather breakage was due to his previous all seed diet. He is now on Harrisons and we hope when his new feathers come in they will be stronger. We also add calcium to his mash once a week to try to help with the deficiency.

Most Reactions

Latest posts