Zazuthebird

Jun 4, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels, Bourkes, Lovebirds(masked & Fisher), Ringneck Parakeets, Conures(emma & Molinae).
Hey I bought a young couple of ringnecks last year, i think they're are 2 years old, Frank and Betty, the male hasn't developped his ring yet(which means he hasn't reached maturity) I wanted to have some babies this year, but it doesn't look like they will, at least till next year. I also bought a single male blue ringneck, and he has developed his ring, so i was thinking of replacing frank and putting gwin in his place with betty.
But i'm worried they might fight or frank would be depressed... I'm not sure, what does anyone think ?
Does it take as long for the female to reach maturity as it does for the males ?

Thank you !

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I would not separate them, especially if they’re a bonded pair.
It could greatly depress both the male and female unfortunately.

Though, ringnecks aren’t always faithful or always permanent partners in the wild. Ultimately, you would be the one to best be able to tell if Frank would be depressed or not or how bonded he is to the female.

OP
Z

Zazuthebird

Jun 4, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels, Bourkes, Lovebirds(masked & Fisher), Ringneck Parakeets, Conures(emma & Molinae).
Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I would not separate them, especially if they’re a bonded pair.
It could greatly depress both the male and female unfortunately.

Though, ringnecks aren’t always faithful or always permanent partners in the wild. Ultimately, you would be the one to best be able to tell if Frank would be depressed or not or how bonded he is to the female.
Thank you! Happy to be here

Yes i thought that too, What would happen if i put gwin in with frank and betty, that i'm guessing wouldnt help or even make it worse ?
I'd just really like some babies this year, its bad to rush them, but they have to pay for their food somehow.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thank you! Happy to be here

Yes i thought that too, What would happen if i put gwin in with frank and betty, that i'm guessing wouldnt help or even make it worse ?
I'd just really like some babies this year, its bad to rush them, but they have to pay for their food somehow.
I’m not sure if all three birds being housed together would be a good idea.
I don’t own any IRNs so I’m not sure how compatible same sex pairs/mixed sexes can be.

Most Reactions

Latest posts