Several questions about taking care of my african grey

Murdery

Oct 21, 2018
Hello, my african grey is 3 years old and it doesn't behave in the way I'd like it to. I usually face some problems with it and would like some help and advice.

1. I used to spend alot of time with him whenever he would be outside the cage but he never bonded with me. He bonded with two different family members at two different times but never with me when I was the one spending the most time with him. What can I do to help him bond with me?

2. He is pretty territorial whenever I'd come around close to his cage and would usually strike at me. How can I get him to accept me?

3. Before when I'd have him out, he would usually stand on the top of his cage or on his stand(he would only be inside his cage when its time to sleep), but nowadays he would constantly fly off the top of his cage and stand so I can't keep him around without him flying. Before he used to stay on top doing his own thing but now he just flies down and I want to try and fix that and keep him on his stand/on top of cage without him coming down.

4. I can't really scratch his head like I used to before because nowadays he would just go at my hand trying to bite it.

5. Whenever I'd ask him to step up he would never step up like he used to, he would sometimes raise one feet and then when I'd get closer he would try and bite.

I think step 4 and 5 may be because he hasn't bonded with me. Thank you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There are many techniques to help bond and earn trust with a parrot, though sometimes they just don't grow close to certain people. Parrots are typically not as food dependent as dogs/cats and often choose their terms and people.

A few popular threads worth reading!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

You can try giving special treats of favored foods in small quantities such as almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, etc in very small quantities.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Anything change in your physical appearance? New haircut or color, new glasses, no glasses, etc?

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
My grey Trigger is almost 2 years old. I'm pretty sure he is going through his puberty time (typically happens at 2-3 years old) and his behavior is just like what you describe. Lately my husband has started doing regular clicker/target training and it is making a HUGE difference. I highly recommend this as others have and who already provided links. Also, it's Springtime which is often a hormonally challenging time of the year.
EWN8HxgWAAIgVRb.jpg

Most Reactions