Severe Bite

Roseann

Feb 15, 2023
My INR, flew at me yesterday while I was on the phone (my landline) the bite was so severe on the finger, blood came out immediately, and was dripping on the floor. I had to end my call to take care of this bite.

I've read to walk away, ignore, don't put hand in cage etc...The difference here is she flew at me.

She has structure, her own room for sleeping at night. I feed her well.
She has approximately 6 hours of out of cage time, about 3 hours in the morning and 3 late afternoon and has access to fly around
a certain part of the house.

I'm not sure what to do, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Roseann

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
It might help if we knew how old she is. She could be hormonal, or it may be that she simply doesn't like you using the telephone. Syd inevitably nibbles my ear when I am on the phone and talks at top volume while doing so. Luckily he doesn't draw blood but it's certainly painful.

I now put my hood up if I happen to be wearing one, to put him off. When he was first hormonal about 1yr old I spent my life in hat, scarf and gloves because in the same way he would attack. I thought at the time that I would never trust him but am glad to report that those awful times have long passed.

I belong to the club that doesn't ignore etc. I squeal like I'm dying and put him into flight or put him down continuing to scream and ignore him. He then has to 'make up' to me before I accept him back. Fortunately now he understands the word 'No' which tends to stop him in most of his naughty moves. In addition he has learned to say 'I'm sorry' which melts my heart every time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It might help if we knew how old she is. She could be hormonal, or it may be that she simply doesn't like you using the telephone. Syd inevitably nibbles my ear when I am on the phone and talks at top volume while doing so. Luckily he doesn't draw blood but it's certainly painful.

I now put my hood up if I happen to be wearing one, to put him off. When he was first hormonal about 1yr old I spent my life in hat, scarf and gloves because in the same way he would attack. I thought at the time that I would never trust him but am glad to report that those awful times have long passed.

I belong to the club that doesn't ignore etc. I squeal like I'm dying and put him into flight or put him down continuing to scream and ignore him. He then has to 'make up' to me before I accept him back. Fortunately now he understands the word 'No' which tends to stop him in most of his naughty moves. In addition he has learned to say 'I'm sorry' which melts my heart every time.
I wear my hood up when my flying piranha (a female budgie) is out of her cage because she also can't resist nibbling my ears. I also make it loud and clear that biting hurts. She is getting better as she matures- she's now six months old now.
Would you consider very lightly clipping his wings so he can't fly at you so easily?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I wear my hood up when my flying piranha (a female budgie) is out of her cage because she also can't resist nibbling my ears. I also make it loud and clear that biting hurts. She is getting better as she matures- she's now six months old now.
Would you consider very lightly clipping his wings so he can't fly at you so easily?
Not me. The joy he gets from flying would be impossible for me to deny him. It's enough restriction that he is limited to flying in the house. Syd is now 6 and we co-habit very comfortably as a rule and the time and patience spent on discussions about acceptable behaviour have paid off over the time we have been together. That's not to say that I don't have the scars to prove it. :cry:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SHe is at least 5 yrs old, and not with the OP for a long time.

My own personal feeling is that parrots who fly to attack need to have their attitude adjusted. By that I mean a light clip of the primaries, just enough so the parrot cannot gain altitude and can still glide to the ground. Again IMHO, certainly not the opinion of the PF mod team.

You can reduce but never 100% eliminate mating and puberty behavior. At +5yrs your IRN is likely just going thru a mating season, which has been pretty severe this year in the NorthEast.

OP
R

Roseann

Feb 15, 2023

Thank you for your response. She is about 5 years old, and yes she may be hormonal, I did remove all the triggers. It seemed to help..a bit. Yes, I did let out a scream, couldn't help it. I put her back in her room, and let her out the next morning. I had the same response as you. But I'm not as trusting now; I feel like I took a few steps back. I've taught her the word No as well, with Sassy it's when she says "aaaww'
I took her in because the neighbor next door was not able to care for her anymore. Whenever I would visit, she would always be excited to see me, this went on for a few years, so she knows me well.
Thanks again
Roseann

Briburd

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
My GCC knows all too well how to say, ā€œ be nice.ā€ At first he thought ā€œbe niceā€ was something I say to encourage a bite. Iā€™ve even caught him attacking his bell or other toys and angerly saying ā€œbe nice, be niceā€ but after giving him short time outs he is finally realizing be nice means you donā€™t get to hang out on me. Donā€™t get me wrong he still tests the limits. In fact today while eating my salad he attacked me because he all of sudden decided he hated forks. (never had a problem with them until now) So I would remove him from me and say be nice. Itā€˜s a working progress but I found this lesson mixed with general avoidance has proven successful. For example, he HATES if I put on sunglasses and will full on attack me so I will removed him from my body far enough away to get them on and he still will sometimes come at me beak a blazing but I stop and point my finger at him and say, ā€œ be nice.ā€ Works 50% of the time lol

Briburd

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
My GCC knows all too well how to say, ā€œ be nice.ā€ At first he thought ā€œbe niceā€ was something I say to encourage a bite. Iā€™ve even caught him attacking his bell or other toys and angerly saying ā€œbe nice, be niceā€ but after giving him short time outs he is finally realizing be nice means you donā€™t get to hang out on me. Donā€™t get me wrong he still tests the limits. In fact today while eating my salad he attacked me because he all of sudden decided he hated forks. (never had a problem with them until now) So I would remove him from me and say be nice. Itā€˜s a working progress but I found this lesson mixed with general avoidance has proven successful. For example, he HATES if I put on sunglasses and will full on attack me so I will removed him from my body far enough away to get them on and he still will sometimes come at me beak a blazing but I stop and point my finger at him and say, ā€œ be nice.ā€ Works 50% of the time lol

Briburd

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
oh yea I also found sometimes itā€™s not just me itā€™s the inanimate object he is trying to attack but Iā€™m in the line of fire and goes after me so I just let him go ham on the object rather than me until he has had enough and decides itā€™s no longer a threatā€¦then he usually is fine with ā€œsaidā€œ object after that. This is all just personal experience though and Iā€™m sure each bird and situation is different.

Most Reactions

Latest posts