Severe macaws

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Anyone have severe macaw experience? With proper socialization can they be social with others? Or are they more than likely going to be a one person bird?

Also will a hook billed parrot have any disabilities I'd he doesn't have an upper beak tip?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-213437_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-213437_Gallery.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 73

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I don't know about a severe's personality. But I know that my harlequin macaw relies heavily on his beak tip to do everything from eating and drinking, to climbing, to playing. I would imagine that a macaw without a tip would be fairly special needs.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I don't know about a severe's personality. But I know that my harlequin macaw relies heavily on his beak tip to do everything from eating and drinking, to climbing, to playing. I would imagine that a macaw without a tip would be fairly special needs.
That's what I thought too. But the owner is saying other wise .

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would imagine any parrot with a beak deformity is going to have some issues, but many that have say a twisted beak manage to do all the above. However, it should be determined if the deformity is not being caused by an underling medical problem. Can you go and see this youngster?

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I would imagine any parrot with a beak deformity is going to have some issues, but many that have say a twisted beak manage to do all the above. However, it should be determined if the deformity is not being caused by an underling medical problem. Can you go and see this youngster?
I have. I was told the parents misshapen(? Bent) the beak when feed him/her so they had to trim his/her beak so they could hand feed him/her.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hopefully the beak tip will grow back?

I’m concerned that the trimming may have been painful for the baby. I have taken the very thin translucent tip of the upper beak off when it’s gotten overgrown in my chronically ill birds, but there are nerves and blood vessels further in the beak that would make this very painful.

My sister had a severe macaw and I remember it being a one-person bird. But my sister lived in a rural area and the bird almost never saw anyone else.

Last edited:
OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Hopefully the beak tip will grow back?

I’m concerned that the trimming may have been painful for the baby. I have taken the very thin translucent tip of the upper beak off when it’s gotten overgrown in my chronically ill birds, but there are nerves and blood vessels further in the beak that would make this very painful.

My sister had a severe macaw and I remember it being a one-person bird. But my sister lived in a rural area and the bird almost never saw anyone else.
I agree with it being at the very least very uncomfortable . I do regular beak trims for my Lovebjrd and use a specific nail file that work very well and is gentle and doesn't vibrate his little brain. I tried the dremel on my finger nail and was not a fan. I can't imagine dremeling my teeth :/.

Did your sister have her Severe Macaw as a baby ? From my research when severe macaws hit puberty it is very trying and is were they get their name. :/

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My sister got her severe macaw very young and had her for at least ten years. She talked and was a sweet bird but she definitely preferred my sister and disliked her husband.

Most Reactions

Latest posts