Sexing a baby ringneck.

Miki_

Jan 30, 2022
Parrots
4 Lovebirds
Hi everyone!

Is there a way to determine the sex of a baby ringneck?
I know there is DNA and surgical sexing, but is there any other way like can you see if it's a male at such a young age? Or must you wait for 3 years until the ring around his neck appears?

Im genuinely curious, because i prefer male birds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am not well versed in Ringneck's. But, I know that in Judged Events, they, like most young Parrots are not Judged until they have adult plumage (if there are differences) or are DNA verified.

FYI: Near no one uses surgery to sex Parrots as the risks are just to high.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
What ive seen alot of vets do when they sex birds if someone wants there bird to be tested to see if it is a male or female they will take there bird in to have there nails trimmed they clip the quick just enough so it bleeds a little than they stop it than they take that blood and do whatever they do lol

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What ive seen alot of vets do when they sex birds if someone wants there bird to be tested to see if it is a male or female they will take there bird in to have there nails trimmed they clip the quick just enough so it bleeds a little than they stop it than they take that blood and do whatever they do lol
Well stated and defining of a Classic DNA test.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Well stated and defining of a Classic DNA test.
Thanks I don't actually know how i know that i guess i just research a lot cause I've never actually had a bird dna tested before.

Most Reactions

Latest posts