Sharp Beak

Keystone921

Jan 8, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure
What can I do to keep my conures beak trim? She eats alot of nuts and seeds and has wooden toys and cuttle bones, but her beak keeps long and hurtful when she bites :(

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
What can I do to keep my conures beak trim? She eats alot of nuts and seeds and has wooden toys and cuttle bones, but her beak keeps long and hurtful when she bites :(
No matter how much a bird chews or eats hard food, it will still hurt when they bite and they bite hard.
The best remedy for biting is knowing your birds body language a preventing the situation that causes the bite.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Conures are a beaky species. They use their beaks to comunicate, to groom, to test out perches , and basically treat their beaks like a 3rd hand when investigating things , very much like how a toddler is always putting things in their mouths

In what situations is your baby biting ?

Learning to read her body language can help you avoid a lot of bites (if albie doesn't want to step up, he will back away and duck low ,if i insist ill get a nip , if i force it a second time i get bit ,if he doesnt want interaction, he will fluff up but keep all his head and face feathers flat )

Look at bite pressure training, basically its where you teach her what is and isnt acceptable bite pressure . You have to very consistent with it ,like with any training . see the link below as it explains bite pressure training far better than i can .

If her beak looks long or over grown, id recommended a visit to her avian vet to see if it needs trimming .

Most Reactions