She's gone

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Sissy died vet thinks pdd but not sure she lost a ton of weight in the last few weeks and I brought her to blue pearl yesterday but there was no Avian vet on staff so they wouldn?t treat her so last night every two hours I syringe fed my baby and this morning I brought her to my primary
I guess she wasn?t strong enough
I feel sick I feel like I failed my munchkin, the vet will do further research to ensure the safety of my other birds.
I can?t breath.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Re: She?s gone

Mariar, I am so very sorry for your loss of Sissy. Please don't blame yourself, you gave Sissy a wonderful life. I pray that the vet finds that there is no risk to your other birds.
I wish I could reach through the keyboard and give you a hug, I am just so sorry.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Re: She?s gone

Oh no, I'm so sorry Mariar! My sincerest condolences. I hope you can find out what happened in effort to keep your flock safe.

Fly free to the rainbow bridge, dear Sissy. Until we meet again.

OP
Mariar

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Parrots
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I can’t breathe and is it wrong not to want to cuddle with my other bird tiger?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't believe there is a right and wrong when it comes to grieving, especially when it's so recent. Everyone deals in their own way. Just do what works best for you, and that's all anyone could ask. Feathery hugs heading your way.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I am so sorry for your loss.

Your other bird will be grieving too. But, just like oxygen in a depressurized airplane, you must take care of your Own Grief First. There is no right or wrong way to feel sorrow, and if for now you do not want to cuddle your other bird, that is OKay -- for you, and for Tiger.

OP
Mariar

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Parrots
Thank you for all the kind words
It’s hard to talk right now it’s all so new and it’s a lot to take in knowing tomorrow will be different.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am so very sorry Mariar, my deepest condolences for your loss of Sissy. You did not fail her, our limitations of science and genetics were unable to save her from illness. Please be comforted by her wonderful memories, and in time, cuddles with Tiger.

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
I am so very sorry for your loss. You grieve in your own way. The loss of a parrot hit really hard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Mariar, I'm so terribly sorry to read of this heartbreaking news. My deepest condolences to you on the passing of sweet Sissy - I'm afraid that grief like this is the price we pay for loving them so very much. Sending my warmest feathered hugs and prayers for both you and your beloved girl, Mariar, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, precious Sissy, you will be forever loved.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss, I know what it is like , one minute they are here and then ...gone.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Oh Mariar my heart hurts to read this news. Take your time, it takes time to learn to live with the loss. Thinking of you!

OP
Mariar

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Parrots
The vet called and said she went ahead and had the blood work looked at. Turned out sissy was extremely anemic. she had 1/2 the normal blood volume in her little body. Final diagnosis is that she was suffering from an auto immune disease her whole life and unfortunately there was no cure even if we caught it years ago,even a blood transfusion would not have saved her. It?s been three days and tiger is also grieving, he just sits in her cage and looks around, it?s sad. You don?t realize how much time is consumed with your birds until they are gone and then you feel like a part of you is missing because they were always talking or throwing stuff or singing or climbing on you or in sissy?s case swearing when she didn?t get her way or just giving you kisses or trying to feed you lol.
Gonna take me some time to get through this but thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Knowing Sissy had autoimmune disease makes her time with you all the more precious. I dearly hope Tiger will warm up to you so grieving becomes a joint labor of love and respect for Sissy's memories.

OP
Mariar

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Parrots
Thanks again every one. Tiger and I will grow to love each other just like I did with sissy. In the meantime I have joined a pet loss support group. I need all the help I can get right now.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so glad you have a support network close by at a time like this. So many of us here are thinking of you and praying for you and Sissy, Tiger and your flock. Birds are such very special and magical creatures. More feathered hugs heading your way.

Most Reactions

Latest posts