Should biting be ignored or "punished"?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I hear all different replies to this. I basically try to ignore but it is very hard when you are bleeding. However, when you react doesn't a bird see that as positive so if I react to biting isn't that just encouraging the behavior?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I hear all different replies to this. I basically try to ignore but it is very hard when you are bleeding. However, when you react doesn't a bird see that as positive so if I react to biting isn't that just encouraging the behavior?
It can be almost impossible to ignore a hard bite in front of them, for me anyway. A lot of people disagree with this, but if I'm bitten out of the blue, I put them back in their cage for a 5 minute timeout.
It seems to work as a reset, perhaps for us both.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
It can be almost impossible to ignore a hard bite in front of them, for me anyway. A lot of people disagree with this, but if I'm bitten out of the blue, I put them back in their cage for a 5 minute timeout.
It seems to work as a reset, perhaps for us both.

I have tried doing that. It doesnā€™t work. I think it is because sometimes she wants to be in the cage.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I donā€™t punish per se, but I do make it known it HURTS and Rico knows that It does. I make a shrill ā€œĆ†EACK!ā€ whenever I get hurt and I do so when he bites. It sounds similar to his angry scream and he quits. Lucky me, he almost never bites hard. He has only drawn blood a handful of times.

When he is a hormonal gremlin though, I give him a cooldown in his cage and I have time to determine whether Iā€™m bleeding or not. Aside from a few minute cooldown (the few times I do give him one), I donā€™t exactly punish nor reward it.

He knows I donā€™t like bites and I know he doesnā€™t like biting and Iā€™m glad he isnā€™t a little bitey monster haha

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Honestly I think it really depends on your bird and your relationship with your bird too. Luckily Ona never bites really hard but she can give some painful ones now and then. For me Iā€™ve always tried to teach her the word ā€œgentleā€ and say it when she bites. I also often make a ā€œsssh!ā€ noise just because it gets her attention. I am guilty of reacting too much and saying ā€œow!ā€ Itā€™s definitely hard not to.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I react, as would any parrot in the wild if a flockmate bit them. I use the "shunning" method to make sure Salty knows he done wrong.

Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:
  • Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.

Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

Most Reactions

Latest posts