Should Heidi the Galah be renamed Harold?!!

Nikki.toth

Jul 13, 2018
Winstanley, Wigan
Parrots
1 peach faced (Rogue) and 1 fischers (Rio) love bird, 2 green cheek conures (Dobby and Delphi), a Galah cockatoo (Heidi) and a blue fronted Amazon (Hamish)
Hi all! I'd very much like some opinions on the gender of my (supposed) female Galah. After reading some articles online I'm now wondering if the bird sold to me as a female ex breeding bird is actually a male due to her eye colour. It doesn't matter to me at all, I'm just curious. Also, if anyone has any advice regarding her bald patches (I've had her almost 2 years now with a heavy emphasis on diet improvement) She doesn't pluck, I've monitored her very closely for this. I'm working now on the assumption that whatever caused her feather loss initially has left lasting long term damage preventing regrowth. No matter what answers I find to my questions I could not love this precious soul more. It took me 10 months to be able to touch her and now she is the sweetest most affectionate of pets and I truly adore her.

Attachments

• 20220328_180555.jpg
    20220328_180555.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 95

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
She looks female to me, judging by the photo. Of course it might look different in person. If you're confused about her gender, you can always get her DNA sexed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Agree, eye color highly suggests female. Though I have a female Goffins thought to be male with coal-black eyes. Revelation at age 25 with first egg!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We had a member here on PF who had a BFA named Amy, who for 32 years was thought to be female. A blood test showed her to be a HIM, but Jim kept the name.
RIP Jim, Amy is still called Amy !

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
Females tend to have red eyes, whereas males tend to have brown or black eyes. It's not 100% reliable, but it's the trend. You would have to get it DNA tested to be 100% sure. Personally I would just go by the eyes if you are just trying to figure out whether to use the female or male pronouns. If you need to know for breeding purposes then DNA test.
I never DNA test my birds because I don't like hurting them. It's not too bad, but it's like clipping your toenails too short. They hurt for a while until they regrow.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
If Heidi already knows her/his name, no great reason to change it. My YNA was thought to be male for many years, but DNA tested female. HER name is still Baxter, because she knows it and says it.

Heidi is gorgeous, by the way. I've thought galas were among the most beautiful parrots out there since I was a kid. One of my bucket list birds, though I've long accepted that toos are a bit above my skill set. (Says the guy with an ekkie lol)

Most Reactions

Latest posts