Should I be concerned?

HappilyDivorced2015

Dec 13, 2021
Parrots
Blue Quaker
My Blue Quaker Parrot was on his parrot playground yesterday and decided he wanted to try and fly. Currently, his wings are clipped so he went to floor about three feet below him.

I believe he must have hit his tail on the playground or the edge of the table on the way down because he now has a feather that is sticking out from the rest of his tail feathers.

I have checked him over thoroughly and see no signs of injury, and he is still climbing around his cage, playing with toys, eating his food, and he's still willing to step up and "sing" as much as ever. By all accounts, I don't notice a difference in him at all. With that said I have a call into the vet just to be on the safe side.

Should I be concerned about this wacky feather sticking out or the fact that he hasn't preened it or otherwise taken care of it himself somehow? I always thought birds were "fastidious" about their feathers so it seems odd that he's just leaving it like that. Should I be doing something to take care of it for him?

He is currently molting so maybe this feather is just one that is getting ready to fall out? Any information anyone could provide to put my mind at ease until I hear from the vet would be very much appreciated. This is the first parrot I've owned and I'm simply trying to ensure he gets the absolute best possible care I can provide to him.

Attachments

• 20211222_193053.jpg
    20211222_193053.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 80

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Laura is right. They generally get preened out and are harmless. However I will never ever keep you from seeing a vet, so go ahead if you are concerned, but chances are, it's nothing.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My 'zon Salty had a wacky feather from the same thing. He eventually preened it out. My vet said I could try resetting it, but Man, he does NOT like anyone messing with his tail feathers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts