Should I get a conure?

Atha

May 25, 2018
Hi everybody! Iā€™m a new member (or, well, a person whoā€™s been lurking for the past year or so), and Iā€™m hoping to get a parrot as an emotional support animal. However, Iā€™m really afraid I wonā€™t be a good parront. Iā€™m a first time bird owner and a college student, so there are a lot of concerns I have.

Iā€™ve already been approved for an ESA, so Iā€™m not worried about housing (although loud parrots arenā€™t a very smart idea). However, I do really want to spend a lot of time with my bird, so Iā€™m afraid that a small bird like a budgie might not really want to bond with me or accept head scritches (and I really want to give head scritches!). Cockatiels are a bad option as my brother has severe allergies, and thus far seems fine with birds but Iā€™d rather not push it.

Iā€™m considering a GCC, but since itā€™s only allowed in my dorm as an ESA, a companion isnā€™t possible. Iā€™m pretty sure I could work around classes, but later on if Iā€™m unable to work from home Iā€™m really worried it would be too long. I was wondering, is it at all possible to adjust a parrotā€™s sleep schedule to sleep for a good portion of the day, using curtains and UV bird lamps? I was thinking of maybe coming back during lunch to wake my fid, and if thatā€™s not possible maybe even wait until Iā€™m off from work? Breakfast would be when I get home, and dinner would be right before I go to bed with the few hours before my fidā€™s bedtime some solitary playtime and foraging.

Iā€™m also afraid that the responsibility will be too overwhelming. I honestly want to do literally everything possible to have a happy and healthy fid, but thereā€™s a big difference from imagination and reality. Will I be able to keep up the regular schedule and demands a parrot would have? Iā€™ve done a lot of research and I feel perfectly willing, but to be honest Iā€™m still scared Iā€™ll mess up and might have to put another bird in a rehoming situation...

Do you guys have any tips or advice? I really appreciate any and all help you can give!

Pampa

May 24, 2018
Northern Ca
Parrots
Jazzy Pizazzy, Jenday Conure ~
Corbin, Nanday Conure (little Crow) ~
Lucky & Mojo, the Budgies ~
Pampa Blue Crown Conure lost 6/18/2019 ā˜¹ļø
Hello Atha,
Welcome. I am sorry no one responded to your post. I too am new here and have only had my blue crown conure for 4 days. I have no wisdom to share with you. I have the same worries as you. I didnā€™t get a baby because I was afraid I would mess up a baby. My conure is amazing. So tame and cuddly. I tell it that he has more experience with people then I have with conures. I worry if I made the right decision. But the bird is here now and I am committed. Good luck with your decision. I wish everyone was as thoughtful and responsible when choosing to get a companion pet.
Roxanne

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello Althea! Iā€™m sorry you got so few responses. Parrots as an ESA are not terribly common, so few are likely willing to speak up.

I myself have no experience with ESA, so I tread lightly in saying I have to base this on some assumptions (you know what happens when you assume...). However, Iā€™d imagine parrots arenā€™t exactly the best candidate. I would assume you are looking for something more cuddly, you can hold when times are rough. As a rule, parrots are not cuddly.

I would assume a dog would be a much better candidate. Iā€™d so look into cavalier King Charles spaniels for you.

Pampa

May 24, 2018
Northern Ca
Parrots
Jazzy Pizazzy, Jenday Conure ~
Corbin, Nanday Conure (little Crow) ~
Lucky & Mojo, the Budgies ~
Pampa Blue Crown Conure lost 6/18/2019 ā˜¹ļø
I didnā€™t mention the ESA part of your questions because I too donā€™t know much about what qualities you need in an ESA. My assumption is it may varie from individual to individual. For me I would what emotional support and unconditional love, qualities that a dog can be very good at. I had a dog that whenever I was having problems or worries or couldnā€™t sleep I would bring him to bed and snuggle him to sleep. I could bring him to work so if I was challenged he would be able to come to work. Birds are more fickle and cantankerous. In these forums I have heard over and over again not to take it personally if the bird is being a jerk, they do bite and it hurts. I am in the honeymoon stage with my new conure and reminding myself that all those parrot kisses are just a trick someone taught him and not really about his feelings towards me. My cockatiel has reached sexually maturity, it is Spring and my once sweet pet is being a jerk. Couldnā€™t that be the opposite of emotional support?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
birds can adopt a sleep cylce to match yours, but I wouldn't wake them up mid sleep cycle. Clark goes to bed at 4-6 pm when I go to work or have the night off, and wakes up around 6am when I get home. During the day he watches me nap, quietly, but we have hours to be together before and after I sleep and my days off, 2 on 2 off 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off etc.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
College students do not make good parronts. Could you be the 1 out of 1,000 that can make a changing life style, small amount of discretionary money, very limited time for keeping your parrot tame and his environment clean ( parrots are very messy pets, both food and poops have to be cleaned up daily ) work so that the parrot receives the best you can possibly provide ? Perhaps. Does waiting until you have graduated, and started in your chosen field, maybe in your own home or condo, with the bucks to afford food, toys and vet bills that are a big part of owning a parrot make a lot more sense ? For the other 999 out of 1000 the answer is yes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts