Should I get a second bird

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
I've had my little Goffins, Sugar, for almost a month now. I'm pretty sure she hates other birds mainly because prior to adopting her when I would visit with her if she was sitting on my shoulder and another bird came over and sat on my other shoulder Sugar would go after it with a vengence and run it off. But sometimes I wonder if she would be happier when by herself if there was another bird in the house. Obviously in its own cage. I was thinking maybe a smaller bird or a couple of parrotlets. What do others think?

Also she finally got thru the hormonal stage (yay!) and I have finally got her transitioned over to the Hari Hagen Alternative (soy and corn free) pellets. When I first got her it was obvious she had previously plucked feathers but now she is almost fully feathered. She still has some down on her back and wings but not as much as when I first adopted her and she still has one bare spot on her chest which I don't think will ever grow back feathers.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Only get a second (or third etc) parrot if YOU want one, not because you think your parrot wants one. Adding to a flock has its own risks to your relationship with your first parrot. Sometimes it works out others not so much and now you have less time for each, and twice the costs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts