Should I get an air purifier?

meganma1994

Jun 6, 2019
Gurnee, Illinois
Parrots
Eclectus - Ozzy - 9 years old!
Hello everyone,

I am moving soon into an apartment with my boyfriend and my eclectus and I am debating whether or not to buy an air purifier. There is one I have my eye on that is $500 but a high quality air purifier and also a humidifier. I am most concerned about fumes from the kitchen like smoke or something if I burn something and being in such close quarters. Should I splurge on the one I'm looking at or does anyone have any recommendations for one that's not going to break the bank? Also, I have a waffle iron that I got before I got my bird and i totally forgot about it. I emailed the manufacturer asking if it used Teflon or nonstick coating and attached is what they said. Would you think it's safe to use or don't risk it? Thanks in advance for some advice. I'm nervous about moving into an apartment with my dude.

Attachments

• 916BB6C7-7C93-47E7-A3AF-C0862813DD06.jpg
    916BB6C7-7C93-47E7-A3AF-C0862813DD06.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 99

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Hello everyone,

I am moving soon into an apartment with my boyfriend and my eclectus and I am debating whether or not to buy an air purifier. There is one I have my eye on that is $500 but a high quality air purifier and also a humidifier. I am most concerned about fumes from the kitchen like smoke or something if I burn something and being in such close quarters. Should I splurge on the one I'm looking at or does anyone have any recommendations for one that's not going to break the bank? Also, I have a waffle iron that I got before I got my bird and i totally forgot about it. I emailed the manufacturer asking if it used Teflon or nonstick coating and attached is what they said. Would you think it's safe to use or don't risk it? Thanks in advance for some advice. I'm nervous about moving into an apartment with my dude.

Depending on size of apartment Rabbit air, or Austin air Healthmate are the best for the $500 range. As far as humidifier a ESSICK h12-300hb is the best for medium, or larger spaces, as tried over a dozen and this one is the only that does the job and humidify the air evenly while bringing humidity level up 20% plus more then the current humidity during the winter months.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would get one--- and make sure it is one that takes care of VOCs, smoke etc (even though you still can't safely use teflon or anything---even with a purifier). That having been said, I feel that it is a nice safety net in some circumstances and indoor air quality in a small space is going to be poor anyway (even if you are chemical free etc). I have an alenair with the voc filter etc and they have a super-easy payment plan that you can do. It was easy to get. I love it----do make sure you air out the filters and get rid of the packaging before running in the room with your bird just in case.

Last edited:
OP
M

meganma1994

Jun 6, 2019
Gurnee, Illinois
Parrots
Eclectus - Ozzy - 9 years old!
I would get one--- and make sure it is one that takes care of VOCs, smoke etc (even though you still can't safely use teflon or anything---even with a purifier). That having been said, I feel that it is a nice safety net in some circumstances and indoor air quality in a small space is going to be poor anyway (even if you are chemical free etc). I have an alenair with the voc filter etc and they have a super-easy payment plan that you can do. It was easy to get. I love it----do make sure you air out the filters and get rid of the packaging before running in the room with your bird just in case.

Could you tell me exactly which one you have? There are so many I'm finding it hard to find the right one! My boyfriend also has asthma allergies, we aren't going to be living with any other animals besides the cat but dusts can really bother him so I'm considering that as a factor too. Thanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Mine is the: Alen BreatheSmart HEPA Air Purifier for Allergies, Chemicals and Cooking Odors - HEPA-FreshPlus / White

it is currently $669 but I pay like $45-50 a month (which is doable--the approval process literally took 5 minutes too). The machine is bigger than I thought it would be (like a wide box fan reproduced with the original Ipod) but it does a good job and it is easily the most high-tech looking thing I own lol.
Now, lots of people swear by RabbitAir--- I think the size I needed would have been out of my price-range though (so I haven't owned one).

This one (mine) does have an ion setting that can/should be shut off. Also-- the filter is kind of the heart of the machine, so while they are pricey (and the $ value I quoted includes the filter) it is important to pay attention to that when replacing them every 6 months to a year---I have run mine on high 24/7 for 6 months and filter status is still good in a very old house with a very dusty bird (so they do last and some people say that by cleaning the pre-filter, you can extend them longer). That "fresh-plus" thing is the name of my specific Hepa filter, but there are others as well. I got mine for VOCs, kitchen odors etc in a house that was smelling faintly of Glade-Plug-ins from the old owner. Note: it also collects allergens-- it just has finer filtration for smaller microns (VOCs etc)-- VOCs are a big concern of mine whenever I buy something new (because so many things off-gas and paint can off-gas for years, unless it is low to no VOC paint). This machine can be sold in California, which is a mark of a decent product in my opinion (given their regulations on environment and cancer)

Now- I did live without a nice purifier for years, but it truly does make me feel better to have the model I listed above and I wouldn't go back (I have had cheaper ones that were not powerful and required lots of filter changing--in the 80 bucks-a-pop range). This one is nice because. 1- it has a decent air-indicator quality light (which is fascinating), 2. I feel like my allergies are not as bad. 3. the smell of the house is much more neutral, 4. there is a lot less dust around 5. Even on it's loudest setting it is not THAT loud and while it does circulate air, it doesn't create massive drafts like my cheap ones. I have a dusty bird, but even if I did not, air-quality in a home can get so bad! Lots of good reviews on this machine, but you may not want to take the plunge just yet. Happy shopping!

OH-- I FORGOT:
Because I am in a house I also have 2 mid-line purifiers (decent reviews and $150 ish each) but they do NOT seem to be as powerful or as accurate in terms of air quality issues (when compared to the $600 Alen). I honestly think the AlenAir is MUCH better, but this is the other brand I have these days (again-- okay, but not as good):
Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier, 5-in-1 Large Room Air Cleaner & Deodorizer for Allergies, Pets, Asthma, Smokers, Odors – Eliminates Pet Hair, Allergens, Dust, Pollen, Mold, Smoke - HSP001

1. They do have great customer service, but on my first order, the filter smelled like glue/paint/chemicals and they assured me that this was NOT normal and may have occurred due to storage issues at Amazon. The packaging itself is kind of smelly, so don't open it right by the bird. The machine and filter shouldn't stink. If they do, that's a problem. Customer service assured me that this was NOT normal and replaced them with non-smelly ones and an extra. There are a few other complaints about this on Amazon, but it probably has to do with something other than the product itself.
2. It has an "anion" and "sanitize" function. Both should be turned off at all times (even in rooms where you bird is not--as these produce charged particles that can be stirred up later when cleaning etc).
3. Even though the HathaSpace ones are better than my earliest filters, their light indicators are inaccurate. I actually trust the indicator lights on my AlenAir (e.g., my sister walked smelling of faint perfume from the night before, and the AlenAir detected it).
4. They DO have the ability to filter out VOCs etc (per description) which is why I selected them to use in conjunction with my main unit (AlenAir is in bird room---and then the 1 Hathaspace in my dirt/stone basement and one on the main floor near bird-room.
5. Run the units away from your bird at first to get rid of any chemical issues that may come from the factory/plastic etc.
6. Lifetime limited warranty (not all that limited, really)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts