oliver_is_the_best_birb

Jan 14, 2022
Media
Parrots
Oliver: Green Cheek Conure
I have a GCC that is about to turn 1.
I'm away from the house a lot for school and I'm scared he's getting lonely.
Should I wait another year or so or just try now?
And, what type of bird should I adopt, if I do get another?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
This is a question that is often asked, and generally the answer is that you should only get another bird because *you* want another bird, rather than as a companion for an existing one. There is never a guarantee that any two birds will get along harmoniously. They may hate each other, meaning separate out-of-cage or play time. Or they may get along so well together that either one or both of them may start to ignore you! It also means twice the work and potentially double the costs, particularly in terms of vet bills which can get very expensive. They should also be housed in separate cages whether or not they get along together - sometimes even the best relationships can change suddenly, particularly at sexual maturity, and if they are caged together when this happens, the results can be disastrous. Not to mention the possibility of unwanted babies if you have two of the same species and they end up getting on just a little too well.

If you are prepared to put in all the extra work, time and expense involved then by all means go ahead. Many people find that a roughly similar sized parrot works best with a GCC, such as a cockatiel for example.

I hope this helps you and I wish you well 🙏

Most Reactions