Should I give Ringo away?

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hey guys, Ringo has turned bad, he is really REAALLY loud and whenever I try and hold him, he usually makes my hand bleed....... He HAS gone passed the bluffing stage... :(
Should I give him away???
LLOOVVVEEEE TTIILLYY:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Behavior problems with the Indian Ringneck are generally resolved through ensuring proper care and nutrition and careful and patient training.

How old is Ringo and how long have you had him?

Perhaps his hormones kicked in and they can become grumpy, possessive, jealous or simply frustrated.
I have attached a link below, which I am sure you will find most interesting

Biting or Screaming Indian Ringneck? | Birdtricks.com

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Is this a recent thing? I know you had a thread on here a couple months ago saying you'd accidentally sat on him? Has he been biting you since then? He's likely to remember a traumatic event like being sat on - even if he was unhurt it obviously would have frightened him & birds don't forget things like that in a hurry! You may have to go back to square one and earn his trust all over again.

OP
ringobird

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Is this a recent thing? I know you had a thread on here a couple months ago saying you'd accidentally sat on him? Has he been biting you since then? He's likely to remember a traumatic event like being sat on - even if he was unhurt it obviously would have frightened him & birds don't forget things like that in a hurry! You may have to go back to square one and earn his trust all over again.

No, he has been like this for ages and my mum and my dad and all of my sisters and my brother hate him!!

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Have you been training him to behave at all? What methods have you tried?

Barbara Heidenreich has some great training DVD's & books you may find helpful - her training methods are generally very well-respected:

Parrot Training DVDS | Good Bird Training DVDS

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
It sounds like he has become desocialized especially since you said your family hates him and most likely afraid of him now. He's probably hormonal and realizes that he can hurt you and get you to back off with his beak since I take it you and your family has reacted quite badly to his beak warnings.

If your not willing to take the bites and try and retrain and socialize him (this includes your family as well), then I recommend rehoming him to someone who has more experience and patiance to deal with him. Recue centers would be great for this becasue most place them in foster homes where they work on their social skills before offering them for adoption. If his aggression isn't curbed before he is rehomed, he will just be rehomed again and again before hopefully landing with someone who isn't afraid of him and puts in the time and effort to work with him ALL THE TIME, not just when their bored and have nothing else to do.

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Eva, a Green Cheek Conure Hatched March 4th, 2012.
I agree with looking into a rescue for Ringo.
Most legit rescues are trained to deal with his behavior.
They know how to give him the proper care he desires and needs.
I myself would love to take him in but I truly am not experienced in that kind of training.
If you just adopt him out to anybody, you don't truly know if they are experienced either.
I wish you the best. And I hope you will do what's right for Ringo. :)

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Please do not give away a bird that has behavior issues that can be corrected, shelters already have enough animals to take care of, if a animal isn't adopted it has to be euthinized so you might as well end up killing your bird if you put it into a shelter and nobody wants it.But I also agree that if you do not have the time for correcting the behavior find somone who is experienced with birds and give it to him or her . All of this behavior was probely because of the bluffing stage and you didn't do the correct way of controlling the behavior. The bird thinks he can make you fear him by biting you. First DO NOT react to bites, as if it was painless, I know it hurts a lot but it will help stop biting . Then , if a birds bites you do not say no as they do not understand the word and it will seem as you are giving them attention , just put him back in the cage and turn your back at him. When he's not biting you have a good supply of bird treats and give him one.

Last edited:

Mr_Tarell

Oct 16, 2012
Long Island, N.Y.
Parrots
Alexandrine named Tiki
Waw It's like reading about Tiki. He was exactly like this and sometimes he nice, most of the time he isn't. And for that reason I'm the only one in my family who cares for him. Im the oldest of four children and there are 6 members in our family. They have all tried to be nice to him for just about a year now and he has been nothing but mean and angry towards them. He has his days of being nice, that's why I feel like there's hope.

I got him knowing he was a angry biter and attacker. Just like your bird. I've been working with him for almost a year now. ( dec. 19th will make it a year) . Even though he's mean I love him. He is getting better but it's taking a very very long time. It's a very slow process.

If you love Ringo and need some tips on getting him on the right track, I will be glad to help. I'm no expert, I've just been researching and researching, asking questions and applying them to Tiki. Good luck

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
If it's hormones you can ask your vet for a hormones injection but they can be around 100 or more dollars but are very worth it.

OP
ringobird

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Thanks everyone, but I think that I don't have the time to train him to stop, with school and all..... So I was thinking that I would give him to a very nice ladywho can't afford another ringneck.. She has had previous experience!!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Sorry that you are rehoming him, but giving him to a woman who can't afford another bird isn't going to be able to properly afford caring for him. What if he gets sick and needs to go to the vet? What about the expense of feeding more veggies, pellets, and fruit? If you don't have a spare ~200$ laying around to buy an IRN there is no way that she can afford your bird. Please reconsider and rehome him to someone who can be his forever home and can afford all his costs that could happen in the future. I know money doesn't grow off trees but you need to think in the long term for your birds future.

Most Reactions

Latest posts