Should I let my budgie out of its cage?

ggmon3

Mar 7, 2024
Parrots
Budgie
Ive had him for 10 days now and im thinking of letting him out of its cage to explore my room. Is it a good idea or should I wait more? See previous thread if interested about his behavior.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Budgies usually love to fly. I start letting a new bird out of their cage about 1-2 weeks after I get them. Waiting a little bit longer to give them more time to settle in is okay, too. There are a few things to consider before letting a bird out of its cage:

1) don’t be on a time schedule. Unless your bird is trained to step up or go back to their cage, then they are going to stay out for as long as they want to; could be minutes, could be all day. You do not want to chase or catch your bird to put them back in as this can traumatize them and damage their trust in you.

2) Make sure the room is safe. Windows should be covered, doors closed. No open cups/ containers of water that they could fall into. Other pets ( if you have any) shut out of the room.

3) Sometimes it will take hours, days, or even weeks of you opening the cage door before the bird finally comes out. Be patient.

4) Know if your bird’s wings are clipped or not. A bad or one-wing clip can cause them to crash if they try to fly.

5) Enjoy your bird’s antics! My budgies are out all day and I love watching them zip around the room! ❤️

OP
G

ggmon3

Mar 7, 2024
Parrots
Budgie
Budgies usually love to fly. I start letting a new bird out of their cage about 1-2 weeks after I get them. Waiting a little bit longer to give them more time to settle in is okay, too. There are a few things to consider before letting a bird out of its cage:

1) don’t be on a time schedule. Unless your bird is trained to step up or go back to their cage, then they are going to stay out for as long as they want to; could be minutes, could be all day. You do not want to chase or catch your bird to put them back in as this can traumatize them and damage their trust in you.

2) Make sure the room is safe. Windows should be covered, doors closed. No open cups/ containers of water that they could fall into. Other pets ( if you have any) shut out of the room.

3) Sometimes it will take hours, days, or even weeks of you opening the cage door before the bird finally comes out. Be patient.

4) Know if your bird’s wings are clipped or not. A bad or one-wing clip can cause them to crash if they try to fly.

5) Enjoy your bird’s antics! My budgies are out all day and I love watching them zip around the room! ❤️
Thanks for your reply! I opened the door for my bird but it showed no interest of wanting to go out and just fell asleep hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_173240_335.jpg
    IMG_20240310_173240_335.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 6

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thanks for your reply! I opened the door for my bird but it showed no interest of wanting to go out and just fell asleep hahaha
As I said, it can take time for them to warm up to the idea of coming out 🙂. Keep trying as it very important for budgies to get exercise! Looking at your cage setup, I know you just got your budgie recently and maybe don’t have all of the accessories, but might I suggest adding some natural wood perches and some toys? It looks just a little bit stark in there and the varying shape of natural wood perches is important for maintaining the health of your bird’s feet while the toys help provide mental stimulation. ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts