Should i release my baby Lorikeet?

Jamie_95

Jun 10, 2013
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Baby Lorikeet ~ Petrie
And 2 Lovebirds
Hi everyone :)
I found a baby Lorikeet this morning and have been taking care of him since. I'm hand feeding him and making him drink slowly through a syringe, because i put a small bowl of food and water in his cage but he didn't seem to touch it.
He's been shy but very friendly and alert, has only bit me once, likes scratches and sleeping on my shoulder :D He can fly a little bit, but not very well as he's still a baby. Although, i was thinking about setting him free tomorrow morning, where i found him. Just feels like the right thing to do. But i've been told not to by a few people. I don't know what to do! :( Help meeee!
Whilst researching today, i read that if i set him free, the parents might not take him back because he smells like me. And then he might be left out in the wild to die. Is this true?
Thanks for all your help! :)
P.S will post a picture in the morning

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi again Jamie. :)

No, it's not true that the parents won't accept him. That is an urban myth. You could try and put him back where you found him, but I'd stay close enough to see whether either parents will come back and care for him. If the chick will cry out for the parents, try and listen if someone responds to him. IF no parents show up, I'd take him back home and finish rearing him.

Hey, you can always ask Tab for help ;)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hey, you can always ask Tab for help ;)

Haha! I thought i would leave it to the experts :09:
I dont really know much about baby birds, im just the macaw girl :22:

So didnt want to give the wrong advice!

If it was me, i would keep it, but im just a sucker for helping animals :rolleyes:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Furry ones!! Not feathered!!

C'mon....what's one more baby???? You can do it! :D Of course you'd have to keep him FAR FAR FAR away from Fargo, .... precautionary measures.

This is SUCH a tough case. :(

Is there a wildlife rehabber the baby can be taken to if the parents don't show up??

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I would put it back, sounds like a fledgling. Maybe get in touch with your local wildlife rescue and see what they say.

Tonia

May 26, 2013
I know ME...and I would SO keep that baby!! :) Whatever you decide...you are a sweetheart for taking it and caring for it to begin with.

~~Tonia & Annelise :)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
HAHA yeah, i mean i am up every 4 hours as it is now! ;) hehe :09:

Theres always Fauna or Arrow who would probably take him and look after him, they do birds as well as the kangaroos/possums/bats...
Then when its old enough they do the slow rehabilitation to be in the wild again! :)

Up to you Jamie :D

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I wouldnt release him you dont know if hes old enough to be on his own yet. Also it IS a myth that parent birds wont take back babies after people touch them but tehre is no guarantee the parents will find him. Post some pics of him so we can see how old he is.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I just got to say how lucky you are that you live in an area where those and many other parrots roam free like that. :). Australia is definately on my bucket list. I would love to see an enormous flock of wild budgies!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Personal opinion.... I'd keep it. I'd be too afraid that it wouldn't make it, but that's just me. Also youre such a good parront that it may have a better life with you than in the wild. Again just imo.

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
hi jamie, what you are doing is amazing. You are giving a beautiful baby bird a second chance at life. if not for you he may not be alive.
Its a very difficult question you have posed.
If you are confident that you can raise him properly, i would keep him. But if you have any doubt in your mind, i would not just release him. Take him into a wildlife rescue centre, they will continue raising him and when he is ready they will release him.

Good luck in making such a difficult decision and thank you so much for the effort you have already made. You saved this little guys life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts