Should i remove my budgies' mirror?

Rikika

Feb 20, 2021
I recently got 2 budgies, a male - Riki - and a female - Rika - which i have not yet tamed. Riki is young and really energetic and Rika is a bit older and more relaxed.

A couple days ago their toys that i ordered online finally arrived which included among them a mirror with a little branch. Since I've read that you shouldnt get mirrors for single birds i figured that it would be fine, especially considering how close the two have grown with grooming eachother and Rika even mouth feeding Riki sometimes.

Rika soon came to love the mirror and even started being more energetic and generally happier (more chirping, moving her tail often) which i was really happy for. However she started fighting with Riki a bit more often whenever he tried getting close to the mirror and now they wont even step on the same branch. Riki doesn't even want to sing that much anymore and she even cuts him off when he tries to sometimes.

Should i remove the mirror? I know that their relationship is really important and should be preserved so i really want to but some people I've asked previously (who have not given good help so far) told me that it's better this way because they'll bond more to me making it easier to tame them.

I appreciate all responses!

Update: I sometimes put music on for them and now was the first time I did after Rika got obsessed with the mirror and she started screaming at me after 20 minutes to turn it off... I really should get rid of it huh?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My budgies pick all kinds of objects and behave the same way you describe. I have 3 boys. Sometimes the regurgitat to each other. They make constant chatter all day, until after the sun sets. Thankfully I enjoy happy budgies sounds. They do budgie sparring, and then love songs to each other, cuddle, then chase off. They are such a delight, so active .

What you describe sounds very normal to me.

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Most Reactions