Should I rescue a parrot or get a baby?

Eclectus_8

Dec 5, 2022
I have been researching for years to make sure that I have all the necessary information about parrots that I need and am now starting to work towards actually getting one. I have always thought that I was going to get a baby parrot of whatever species I ended up feeling would suit my lifestyle best but have now settled with several species that I would love to have and I am now thinking that maybe a rescue parrot would be best. I would love to receive some advice from experienced bird owners who have either adopted baby birds or rescued adult birds on what would be best, especially because this would be my first parrot. I am fully aware of all that goes in to owning a parrot and would be absolutely willing to put in as much work as needed to provide the best life for any parrot. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, Welcome to Parrot Forum!!

Sadly, no volume of research can prepare one for the demands of being 'Owned By a Parrot'!!

Starting with a Baby may seem the way to go, but there are far too many sellers dumping very young Parrots into the hands of individuals that are fully unprepared to provide a baby, formula let alone all that is required just to keep that overly young baby fed. If you are lucky enough to find a reputable Seller. You can have a much happier start.

I strongly recommend that you consider offing your time at your local Parrot Rescue. There you will have the opportunity to develop first hand experience with a wide cross-section of Parrots. As a result, you will quickly learn what Parrots are like, first hand, while also learning what is needed to bring one into your life.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree that if you have a rescue anywhere nearby that visiting is so worthwhile! I've been surprised which birds I adore and which birds like or don't like me. I'm also currently petsitting a species I would have thought would have been really challenging but is the sweetest animal I've ever met. He tells me I'm a pretty bird a lot so who I am to argue :)

I've shared my home with my own parrots less than a year but one is an adult rescue and one a rehomed juvenile who hasn't gone through puberty yet. It's very very cute seeing all the baby parrot behaviors but they don't last long! He's already very headstrong so I will have my work cut out for me as he reaches maturity :)

OP
E

Eclectus_8

Dec 5, 2022
First, Welcome to Parrot Forum!!

Sadly, no volume of research can prepare one for the demands of being 'Owned By a Parrot'!!

Starting with a Baby may seem the way to go, but there are far too many sellers dumping very young Parrots into the hands of individuals that are fully unprepared to provide a baby, formula let alone all that is required just to keep that overly young baby fed. If you are lucky enough to find a reputable Seller. You can have a much happier start.

I strongly recommend that you consider offing your time at your local Parrot Rescue. There you will have the opportunity to develop first hand experience with a wide cross-section of Parrots. As a result, you will quickly learn what Parrots are like, first hand, while also learning what is needed to bring one into your life.
Thank you for your response! I have already started applying to be a volunteer at my local parrot rescues so that I can fully see what it takes to take care of a parrot.

OP
E

Eclectus_8

Dec 5, 2022
I agree that if you have a rescue anywhere nearby that visiting is so worthwhile! I've been surprised which birds I adore and which birds like or don't like me. I'm also currently petsitting a species I would have thought would have been really challenging but is the sweetest animal I've ever met. He tells me I'm a pretty bird a lot so who I am to argue :)

I've shared my home with my own parrots less than a year but one is an adult rescue and one a rehomed juvenile who hasn't gone through puberty yet. It's very very cute seeing all the baby parrot behaviors but they don't last long! He's already very headstrong so I will have my work cut out for me as he reaches maturity :)
Thank you for responding, I am planning to start volunteering at parrot rescues soon but was also wondering in your experience what species are your favorite or which ones you would recommend. Thanks again

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Just my personal preference, I love rescues. So many wonderful birds out there that deserve a good forever home. I just like the adults since you have a much better idea of what their personality is like. Babies are great, and I totally understand the appeal, but puberty happens, and it's kind of a wild card with those changes. Some get through it without issue, while others have a huge shift in personality and/or allegiance. For me, letting an established adult choose you is the way to go.

As for what species is best... That really depends on you, your lifestyle, and the particular bird. They're individuals, so while there are some generalities with different species, they're never a guarantee. I now have three completely different birds, an ekkie, a YNA and a CAG. Two chose me while visiting our local refuge, and the grey was an emergency type of rescue where the elderly owner went to a nursing home. He's also bonding with me very quickly. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite because they're so different. Each has something unique and special about them. Funny how things turn out. I never planned on two, let alone three, but here we are :)

My best advice is to keep an open mind, and see if a particular one chooses you. You just may find "the one" is a species that wasn't even on the radar. They're so much better at choosing us than we are of them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think that a baby parrot is nice, and very cute, but a rehomed bird or a real rescued bird will be so appreciative of having a nice home.

My nicest birds came from homes where they were hurt accident (by an adopted child) or by abuse. Both these birds were so loving and sweet, even though we had to get past some initial issues, that I would be a poorer person to not have had them in my life.

A vet actually asked me, “but why did you take this bird?” when I brought her a bare plucked blind bird. And I said because I could help it and no one else would take it. “Well, I know, but you shouldn’t have taken in this bird. You have other birds. Who knows what illness this old debilitated bird has?”

Anyhow the “why did you take this bird?” parrot had nothing infectious and had some good years with me. The injured bird had 22+ yrs with me and I would not have given her up for a minute. Two of the best birds ever.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Baby parrots are nice n all, cute and irresistable with those black black baby eyes. But all babys go thru puberty and that can be a game changer - by no means all the time but much like a fresh teenager, pubescent parrots can change 180 deg. From being the "one" with them, they can settle on someone else. Thier manner is like Jeykl/Hyde sometimes and its not ther fault!
With a rescue they personalities are pretty much formed already. If one 'picks ' you, that an ideal situation. Even if its not your ;dream; parrot. With all the unwanted and surrendered parrots in the world, you owe it to yourself to see who'se out there!

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
I have been researching for years to make sure that I have all the necessary information about parrots that I need and am now starting to work towards actually getting one. I have always thought that I was going to get a baby parrot of whatever species I ended up feeling would suit my lifestyle best but have now settled with several species that I would love to have and I am now thinking that maybe a rescue parrot would be best. I would love to receive some advice from experienced bird owners who have either adopted baby birds or rescued adult birds on what would be best, especially because this would be my first parrot. I am fully aware of all that goes in to owning a parrot and would be absolutely willing to put in as much work as needed to provide the best life for any parrot. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!
I have tried adopting Parrots from Parrot Rescues. First of all, rescues do not believe that a parrot should be adopted when you live in an apt.This is absolutely ridiculous.I have a Senecal Parrot 26 yrs old and I have had no complaints from any residents from my apt complex as he is sometimes very noisy.The Rescues require filling out an adoption application which I have done with several Rescues.Then you never hear from them.I believe there is age discrimination also,but I cannot prove it. I would only adopt from a well known breeder or a local pet store,as there usually are no issues if they are reliable.I will not mention all the parrot rescues I have tried as that would be wrong.But I will never try another parrot rescue ever again.Discrination on anyone with an apt and age are their issues,in my opinion. The Parrots I tried to adopt were an alexandrine and a Caique.Anyway.Thank you.Williampatte.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
You have already heard some of the best advice on this so not much I can add. And certainly any time you can spend around parrots before bringing one home will help you enormously.
That said I have had both, babies and rescues. In my opinion both will provide you with plenty of challenges but that is part of the fun and journey. They are all so different in personality and in my experience there where things that we had to work through slowly so as not to ruin the bond between us. That seems to be the key to success with any animal human friendship. That said I think a good rescue will help you find a bird who suits your level of experience. So stick with the plan to volunteer and always have fun! it's a parrot this is a special experience😄

Most Reactions

Latest posts