Should i rescue?

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Hi everyone.
I'm fairly new here my first post was about the passing of my buddy. Which has been a little over 14 months ago. In that time we renovated some of the house and replaced our oven and even tho it was not the plan had to replace the furnace. Anyways... I'm really missing having a bird in the house and am considering rescue. So my questions are.

how long should I wait to get a bird after the renovations (paint varnish) are happening now.
Furnace was installed in January so it's been running nonstop. And oven is over a year old now.

And the rescue I'm considering is very nice I visited their open house events 2 times last year. However I'm a little intimidated by adopting a bird that will come with baggage. I just can't decide if I'm ready to call and tell them I'm ready to adopt. So any advice on knowing when is right to take the rescue plunge? Or advice on birds that come with baggage on day 1.

Thanks in advance. I realize that's alot for 1 post but any help is much appreciated

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
To answer your first question, you should wait until all the odor from the paint is gone.

For your second question, thank you for considering adopting a rescue!

All birds in a rescue don't come with baggage. Some find themselves there because their owner has died or otherwise had to surrender them but they always had a good home prior to that. I have had several birds who came from a rescue. Out of the 9 birds who came from there, only 2 came from bad homes and had baggage.

I have a special place in my heart for the birds with baggage, and many of our birds came from abusive homes.
If you decide to take in a bird with some issues, the main thing to remember is that you may need a lot of patience. I can tell you from personal experience though that there is no better feeling than making a long awaited breakthrough.
However, we also have had birds who were mistreated who adjusted quickly to us, and within a few days it was like they had always been with us.

At the rescue here, we could go and spend time with the bird we were thinking of adopting. Hopefully the rescue you are talking to allows the same, because you can get a good read on a bird by interacting with them and a lot of times a bird will pick you.

Please keep us updated on what you decide:)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
First off, THANK YOU for considering a rescue! I'm personally a huge fan of them. They deserve a chance to have a loving forever home.

So, as far as timing with the remodel, I suppose it largely depends on what products are used, and how much/long they off gas. Not my area of expertise at all, so hopefully someone with some knowledge will chime in.

Rescues however, are near and dear to me. Lots to consider, but bear in mind I have no issue with someone opting for a (fully weaned) baby. I've just always considered them above my skill set. To me, too many opportunities to make mistakes that could then qualify that sweet baby as a bird with "baggage." Also, That same sweet baby will go through puberty, and may change his allegiance. It's a common age for birds to wind up being rehomed.

As said above, not all rescues have baggage. Many of them who were well cared for and loved find themselves there because the owners had health issues, lifestyle changes, or sometimes are deceased. Even if they do carry some baggage, it may not ever come into play with a new life in a loving home. If it does, then a little, or sometimes a lot of patience generally pays off and is sooooo worth it.

Also, hopefully the rescue organization you're dealing with will let you spend time meeting the birds. The one my guys came from actually requires it to make sure there's a good match, so chances are better that the bird won't be rehomed yet again. If you have an open mind, this approach allows a bird to choose you. I promise, they're much better at it than we are of choosing them.

I often use my YNA Baxter as my example. She was in the refuge for over a year, and was almost considered unadoptable because she was so picky about people. Decidedly no men at all, and only a very few women with short hair. She saw me across a room of 75+ birds and started calling hello, hello to me. Love at first sight, with no explanation. I'm male, and the refuge owner thought for sure I was about to lose a finger or my arm when I went over to meet her. Nope, instant head down looking for scratches! I had no intention of a second bird at the time, but she charmed me visit after visit until I gave in and brought her home. For me, she is the snuggliest, sweetest girl on earth. One of those bonds that are hard to explain unless you see us, you know? Of course my (rescue) ekkie is jealous sometimes, but we make everything work, and I'm so happy I listened to my beautiful girl. It's been 2 years now, and she just gets better every day! BTW, we just celebrated her 20th hatch day last week :) Hoping for many, many more to come!

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
That's a great point of view. I guess I really hadn't considered alot of how a parrot can get in a rescue.
Maybe I'll wait about a week and call the place. And see if I can visit a few times before I do adopt.
They did tell me at the open house that they want to do a interview and do a video view of the cage setup before you said any of the large birds. But I don't think I'm ready for a macaw😄

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
20 yrs! That's great! It's kinda funny I had my pi for just shy of 20 yrs so really I haven't gone through the choosing a bird process in 20 yrs! Yikes

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Haha, don't feel bad about that. Beautiful as they are, I'm not ready for a macaw either. :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to you!
I'm sorry you've had to experience the loss of your buddy...

As above bless you for considering a rescue!!!!!!

How lucky you are to have an actual parrot rescue near you!! What a great chance to meet many species.

But because not many parrots are lucky enough to end up in a parrot rescue..I hope you might also consider all those looking for homes on Craigslist, Facebook, or places people list birds . Using best judgment and common sense, but really most aren't scammers...they re home for many reasons. Sometimes they have gotten in over their heads , haven't provided enough out of cage time or big enough cage, terrible diet...and the bird has developed screaming ( number one reason for many) or a fear biting cycle of miscommunication.

Behavior issues happen for a reason, and the reason is usually the person. Like the bird hasn't been out of its cage for years, or not often, small cages, lack of enrichment, poor diet, or even one person in the home likes the bird but the spouse or family doesn't and teases them or worse...

So when an experienced person provides for them for them the way these wonderful creatures are me t to be cared for. Some respond instantly! Some mental shut down ones take longer , months to start seeing them open up, then maybe a year or more to fully come into their own. But like Terry said, the joy in seeing them recover to see their eyes shine again!!!!

My Penny, I came across at a pet store being boarded by an employee....in a tiny tiny cage, covered in poop screaming, plucking...anyway I got him to sell her to me. She had bern loved but also mistreated . She was angry and fearful, but also sweet and wanted to trust, very up and down at first. I earned her trust pretty quickly, but she was so shut down lump on the perch didn't know how to be a bird...that took a long time time , to get her to make choices for herself, to enteract with toys, to move around and explore, to learn to fly to eat better. Oh too see her eyes shine with love and humor 💕 💖 ❤ she is the funniest bird I've ever known ....and so gentle now she pushes your hand away instead of bites now.

My Pikachu just needed a new home, was cared for wonderfully, moved in and made herself right at home and became best buddies with Penny( tho took a year or so.. but crazy about each other now)

Pheobe was a screamer and fearful ..took some hard work but also now a sweet heart. Likes to be vocal but no longer around the clock screamer. And is my boldest and most adventurous now

Wish more people wee like you!!!

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Love hearing all of these positive experiences with rescue it is calming a bit of my ("I'm not going to be able to do this") feelings.
There's so many species that I have no experience with. Did any of you all adopt a species you where new to?
Absolutely. My ekkie Patches was completely new to me. I had never even heard of an eclectus, and he was a long term plucker, something I also had zero experience with. I did a ton of research before I felt comfortable enough to bring him home. He became my best friend on the planet. His sad past left him in rough shape, and the damage was already done, but the last part of his life was filled with love, and he had his forever home. I would do it again in a heartbeat, even with the pain of losing him.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Love hearing all of these positive experiences with rescue it is calming a bit of my ("I'm not going to be able to do this") feelings.
There's so many species that I have no experience with. Did any of you all adopt a species you where new to?
I have adopted several species I hadn't had before. I read through the forum, asked questions of folks who had that species and I also did a lot of Googling so I could read more about them.
While different bird species may require different diets, cage set-ups, etc., all of them will respond to kindness and patience, no matter the species :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Agree. Most standard behavior stuff applies across the board, with a few tweaks based on species and where they are native to and social structure.

I think you will find you are drawn to certain species, that they resonate with you. Or a certain parrot will be drawn to you.

I've cared for a lot of different species, but only some spoke to my soul.

You tube problem behavior or vocalizations of parrots you are considering. Like the sharp sounds love burds can make hit me the wrong way even tho they make them much more rarely than my squawking loud quaker vocalizations.

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I spent the day painting and trying to chip away at the projects that will have dangerous fumes. I think if I'm being realistic I would need another week it finish things. Then time for things to clear out. And get the cage set up. Might give it a week before I call the rescue:unsure:

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
First question, agree with all said above on just waiting it out for the paint fumes to completely go away and dry out so that there won’t be any trouble on that end.
For your other concern, I’d say that your thoughts on rescuing and even considering it is really great and shows how much you want to help these birds, with all the birds that end up in rescues every year looking for a forever.
You’re off to a good start with considering any health hazards that could arise, but (and sorry I didn’t read everything above me tho lol) it’s also important to make sure YOU feel good about it and equipped with the right knowledge to take on these birds with “baggage”.
And I know you’re asking for our input and nothing wrong with that, in fact glad you came around for advice. A second opinion is needed sometimes. But also consider how you potentially would benefit the birds life and what you could provide for them that maybe previous owners usually could not. And if you know that answer and finally do decide it’s the right time to let another bird into your home (rescue), a bird with said baggage is very broad and can mean many things from general traumatic situations to very specific things that have gone on in that birds past that makes them who they are that day.
It’s all about just gaining as much info as you possibly can on that birds life or recent history to get to know them before accommodating their needs. Not all birds in rescues are from traumatic situations though and that’s also important to note just in case.
Some rescue birds may be more difficult than others in terms of handling and training.
But at the end of the day, it is you who is willing to put in the time, effort, and dedication in owning this bird and giving them a forever that they probably thought was unimaginable to begin with.
Some good ways to start on your rescue journey is by searching reliable Craigslist ads, going to your local rescue facility with the birds you’re looking for, or posting on Craigslist yourself stating your search for a parrot companion (but be careful with scams).
Good luck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So true Ria,
You Icca are an important part of the equation. How comfortable are you with taking a parrot bite. How tolerant of noise. Patience/stress /challenges.

With that the rescue, would probably be really good at guiding you which parrots they have would be a better fit. And you can do several visits.

When I was dealing with Pheobe screaming, no one would visit or talk to me on the phone if I was home and she was screaming . It was bad, it was a good 8hrs without stopping daily ...it did start driving me nuts at one point. I took her on knowing and because of this. But I'm Patience and I could manage. And I believed i could help her and fix it.. thankfully that came true.. While a barking dog drives me nuts 🤪

We all have limits ,

And if you aren't wanting challenges. There are still plenty that just need a new home

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I have been reading Everything I can on the forum online and rereading my books. I know there are bites I can handle and some I don't think I could keep my calm through. Biggest bite I've taken was a orange wing amazon which happened at the rescue. Its kind of a long story how it happened but long story short I should have said no to holding the bird. He was obviously in major overload! It was their open house event and while he was on my arm someone backed up into us, on accident of course. But the Amazon got upset, he not only bit but he bit and chewed. Least he was a small Amazon. It was not much worse than my pi tho the pi never chewed me.

Is the chew typical for a amazon bite?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have been reading Everything I can on the forum online and rereading my books. I know there are bites I can handle and some I don't think I could keep my calm through. Biggest bite I've taken was a orange wing amazon which happened at the rescue. Its kind of a long story how it happened but long story short I should have said no to holding the bird. He was obviously in major overload! It was their open house event and while he was on my arm someone backed up into us, on accident of course. But the Amazon got upset, he not only bit but he bit and chewed. Least he was a small Amazon. It was not much worse than my pi tho the pi never chewed me.

Is the chew typical for a amazon bite?
Oh agree some bites I don't want. ( Green cheek close to the top for me, they stick that needle next to nail bed.....yes been bitten by a macaw and Amazon) I just mentioned because some people have a huge fear of being bitten .

You took an Amazon bite and still interested in parrots so I think , lol , you are all good.

Amazon people will let you know. My Amazon bites were pinch and twist .

Glad we agree on yapping dogs! Tho my 4 are yapping prone , but stop when I thank them for letting me know

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My grandpa use to say "if you gotta be dumb you better be tuff" I feel like having parrots can be like that sometimes😆
Perhaps some wisdom from Mr. Miyagi... Icca-san, best defense- no be there! Basically, Amazons are generally REALLY good about telling you things with their body language. It's then our job to understand and listen to what they're telling us. Greatly reduces the likelihood of getting bitten. Sooner or later, we all get nailed. Baxter has gotten me once in 2 years, and entirely my fault because I was distracted and didn't pay attention to the warning. If a Zon is potentially in the cards, please check out the two stickies at the top of the Amazon forum. Hugely helpful info for amazon folks, and lots of stuff good for all parrot owners. https://www.parrotforums.com/forums/amazons.19/

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts