onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I’ve noticed Ona has been more sleepy today and yesterday. She normally doesn’t nap during the day at all and gets anywhere from 10-12 hours of sleep per night. Granted, she did get up a little bit earlier these last two days but not by much. She’s still playing but seems to be playing less than normal and spending more time just perching and napping. I weighed her and she is 59 grams. When I weighed her in August she was 63. Unfortunately I haven’t weighed her consistently enough to know much more than that. She still is eating. I’m thinking of taking her to vet just to be sure she is ok. Thoughts?

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Also, could the 63 to 59 weight difference just be the difference of a poop or full belly? When I weighed her just now she has just gotten up from dozing and hasn’t eaten for a bit. I’ll weigh her again tomorrow and will try putting her to bed a little earlier tonight.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
The thing with weighing is to try to be as consistent as possible with WHEN you do it as things like eating and pooping can't affect it quite a bit. Many folks go with first thing in the morning, after the big morning dump, and before feeding. Weighing the same way every time gives a more accurate picture of the trend.

Now about the vet, here's my take. You know your bird better than anyone else. You're there with her every day, and you notice little differences in behavior, which might be a clue if there's something going on. If you suspect something isn't quite right, it's worth investigating. If it turns out to be nothing, that's good news. If something is wrong and you didn't check, you'll feel awful about it. Go with your instincts. They'll tell you what you should do, for Ona and for you. Please do keep us posted. Ona is such a cutie, I hope everything is okay with her 🙏❤️

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
The thing with weighing is to try to be as consistent as possible with WHEN you do it as things like eating and pooping can't affect it quite a bit. Many folks go with first thing in the morning, after the big morning dump, and before feeding. Weighing the same way every time gives a more accurate picture of the trend.

Now about the vet, here's my take. You know your bird better than anyone else. You're there with her every day, and you notice little differences in behavior, which might be a clue if there's something going on. If you suspect something isn't quite right, it's worth investigating. If it turns out to be nothing, that's good news. If something is wrong and you didn't check, you'll feel awful about it. Go with your instincts. They'll tell you what you should do, for Ona and for you. Please do keep us posted. Ona is such a cutie, I hope everything is okay with her 🙏❤️
Thank you. I definitely will try to start weighing her more consistently. I’m going to call the local vet tomorrow. I just hope we can get in because last I heard they had a waiting list.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
The current system with vets is really worrisome to me. I have no issue with booking wellness appointments out into the future, but a truly sick bird that is unable to hide symptoms can't wait a week to get medical attention.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
When I feared that one of my birds was really sick, I explained it to the receptionist when I called, and after she spoke with my vet they always fit me in. It's worth a try.
I hope Ona is okay, and just tired from being up a little earlier. It will be good for you to find out for sure.

Sending all my prayers and good wishes your way🙏

Iris227

Jun 1, 2022
Parrots
Mango - male opaline redhead lovebird; Frosty - male opaline blue whiteheaded lovebird; Muffin - wild green budgie; Cookie - lutino budgie
Hello!

I'd reccomend you go to the vet. Birds are really good at hiding ilnessess and injuries. Take those little cues of potential injury/ilness. As much as your bird is trying to hide what's wrong, it cannot conceal it entirely. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I hope this helps you and your bird.

Good luck!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Thanks all. I made she got 12 hours of sleep last night and so far today she is her normal, perky self. Maybe she was just sleepy from getting up early. I’m going to monitor her today to see if she stays normal throughout the day.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks all. I made she got 12 hours of sleep last night and so far today she is her normal, perky self. Maybe she was just sleepy from getting up early. I’m going to monitor her today to see if she stays normal throughout the day.
That's wonderful news, I hope that's all it was:)

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Yep she still seems perfectly normal today. Guess I was just overly worried and she was just sleepy. We transitioned from holiday break schedule to back to work schedule this week so I think it's been hard for her too. Some extra sleep last night seems to be all she needed.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
@onamom, I hope a little tiredness is all it was for your sweet girl. Perhaps all the attention from the paparazzi following her big POTM was a little much for her too. Sending you and Ona all my very best wishes and hope she is ok now! 🙏 💝

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is nothing wrong with being overly worried as long as it is tied with being very observant!!

You learned something very important about your Parrot. Keep it in mind in the future that sleep is very important. Regarding sleep, a few days of little sleep requires more that a few days of extended sleep to make-up for it even if your Parrot is kind of back to normal. Remember, they are very good at hiding.

Most Reactions