Shoulder Injury

Tonefreq

Sep 14, 2015
San Jose, CA
Parrots
Pineapple GCC, Max
Hello all!
I have a GCC, Maxie, almost 7yo. I took her into our usual vet for an eye irritation issue, and got her wings and nails clipped. I think they cut her wings quite a bit short, and she has no lift and has made a few hard falls. But, that's another issue. The next day I had her laying on her back in my hand as I was giving her eye drops, she always lets me handle her this way, but this one time I had a firm grip on her and she tried to escape and rolled out of my grasp. This was when I think she injured her shoulder. I took her for a bath in the sink, and noticed her right wing was sticking up, and she was having difficulty raising her wing. She let me feel around and it felt like the humerus bone was sticking upwards a bit. I didn't want to mess with it, and so I took her to an after hours vet that evening since my usual avian vet was closed. The Dr examined her wing, and stretched it out, and said it wasn't broken or dislocated. The next day I took her into the usual avian vet for a thorough exam. I wasn't allowed to be in the exam room, but the Dr confirmed that is wasn't dislocated or broken, and that she has most likely sustained some soft tissue damage (sprain) and to let her rest.

It's been about 10 days since the injury, and while she doesn't appear to be in pain, as she was the first three or four days, that right wing is still sticking up a bit and she is still having issues lifting that wing. Though, she can stretch it out a bit. I know that this injury will take a while to heal, but the non-symmetry of that wing just concerns me a bit. I wanted to see if anyone know if this is consistent with a shoulder sprain? I don't want to mess with her wing more until it's fully healed, and the Doc says to give it another week before she's willing to take her in for any x-rays. I may be a little over-concerned, but I'd hate to see it have problems healing if something is out.

Thanks so much! Pic 1&2 are from the initial injury, 3&4 are from today (10 days later)

Attachments

• Same Day1.jpg
    Same Day1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Same Day2.jpg
    Same Day2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 79
  • One Week1.jpg
    One Week1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 72
  • One Week2.jpg
    One Week2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 71

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It could definitely take a few weeks for that to heal just like a soft tissue injury in a human.

If she is acting like she’s in pain you might bring her back to the vet. Maybe they could X-ray. Although I think all they would do with a break might be to immobilize it, they might give some pain medication.

I think it depends if it’s making her miserable, or whether it’s so ‘nothing’ that she hardly notices the injury.

OP
T

Tonefreq

Sep 14, 2015
San Jose, CA
Parrots
Pineapple GCC, Max
It could definitely take a few weeks for that to heal just like a soft tissue injury in a human.

If she is acting like she’s in pain you might bring her back to the vet. Maybe they could X-ray. Although I think all they would do with a break might be to immobilize it, they might give some pain medication.

I think it depends if it’s making her miserable, or whether it’s so ‘nothing’ that she hardly notices the injury.
Update: After a few weeks Maxie's wing wasn't looking any better so I took her in for a re-exam and x-rays. Turns out that there is indeed some bone damage to the clavicle and the end of the humerus. She's still a little sore, but is moving the wing better, though it's not 100%. Coming up on four weeks this friday. Dr. said she should heal, and be able to fly again, but as of now her range of movement is still a little limited. No idea if her wing/shoulder will return to normal or not. Not sure if she's holding it like that because of comfort, or if the bone injury has altered the geometry of her shoulder. She's grooming that side more, and her personality/playfulness seems normal, so I'm hopeful she'll be fine and that any discomfort is minimal. Just thought i'd post an update in case it helps anyone in the future . Thanks

Attachments

• 6C85CCEE-913C-4602-B448-5D62C122D99C.JPG
    6C85CCEE-913C-4602-B448-5D62C122D99C.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 88

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Awww, look at that X-ray, the poor little chicken.
Good on you for taking her in to be sure.
After there’s a bone or joint injury, sometimes muscles/tendons/ ligaments stiffen up. (You’ve heard of a frozen shoulder.) Hopefully it will relax in time. Maybe the vet can suggest a way to help her shoulder muscles rehab? My Lucy always enjoyed a good foot massage.

I hope she does well and feels ok. It seems like maybe she should not be clipped or should get a generous clip? Like a baby clip? Falling is no good.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sweet Maxie! I hope she fully heals up. Great job in getting her to the vet. Thank you for sharing that excellent x-ray !

Most Reactions