Shredding Toy Question πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello Parrot Friends!

Cozy recently fell in love with a Bonka Bird sneaker (it’s a shredding toy). Unfortunately, she seems to be one of those birds that instead of tossing the thing she is shredding out of her beak, she eats it. Thankfully I caught this habit as I was supervising her so she only got a teeny piece. So my question is, does anyone else’s budgie eat their shred toys? Is their an alternative shred toy anyone knows about that is actually edible?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Shred toys made out of natural products will be your best bet. Planet pleasure has a lot of good options and those can be bought off of chewy or amazon.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Shred toys made out of natural products will be your best bet. Planet pleasure has a lot of good options and those can be bought off of chewy or amazon.
Great thanks Owlet! Also, she likes bells a lot. Do you know if chrome plated steel is ok for birds?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Do you know if chrome plated steel is ok for birds?
Bit debated. It depends on how much heavy metals are in it. Some people say chrome is fine, others not.

Also, if you notice her eating her toy in bulk, it's best to remove it and only use it under supervision because it may cause crop impaction. When toy companies say "safe to ingest", they mean in small amounts, because as stated, large amounts may cause crop impaction or blockages.

Edit: I don't think the Bonka Bird Sneaker toys are safe if your bird(s) eats them, maybe move it on a play stand where she can be supervised?

Last edited:
OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Bit debated. It depends on how much heavy metals are in it. Some people say chrome is fine, others not.

Also, if you notice her eating her toy in bulk, it's best to remove it and only use it under supervision because it may cause crop impaction. When toy companies say "safe to ingest", they mean in small amounts, because as stated, large amounts may cause crop impaction or blockages.

Edit: I don't think the Bonka Bird Sneaker toys are safe if your bird(s) eats them, maybe move it on a play stand where she can be supervised?
Thanks, Pipp! Yes, I removed the toy completely even though she only ever used it supervised because I’m terrified of her having an impaction issue. We had an incident when we first got her and she vomited (still don’t know the exact reason why), but one big scare like that was enough for a while LOL!

Of course I scoured the internet for natural toys and found mixed comments about allowing a bird who eats shredding toys to have any type of shredding toy at all.

So I was thinking last night of trying to create some sort of edible shredding toy like something wrapped tightly in Romain lettuce perhaps? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks, Pipp! Yes, I removed the toy completely even though she only ever used it supervised because I’m terrified of her having an impaction issue. We had an incident when we first got her and she vomited (still don’t know the exact reason why), but one big scare like that was enough for a while LOL!

Of course I scoured the internet for natural toys and found mixed comments about allowing a bird who eats shredding toys to have any type of shredding toy at all.

So I was thinking last night of trying to create some sort of edible shredding toy like something wrapped tightly in Romain lettuce perhaps? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
I think using digestible materials is ok, such as palm leaf, bird-safe natural tree branches etc.

Veggie toy will go bad very quickly.

Planet Pleasures in USA have good stuff(except their shoelace toy).
Where are you located? I can try find multiple companies/businesses for you that sell bird/safe toys :)

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I think using digestible materials is ok, such as palm leaf, bird-safe natural tree branches etc.

Veggie toy will go bad very quickly.

Planet Pleasures in USA have good stuff(except their shoelace toy).
Where are you located? I can try find multiple companies/businesses for you that sell bird/safe toys :)
Very true.

I am in the USA. Is Planet Pleasures part of Bonka Bird because I see their stuff on their Etsy shop. I was looking into some palm leaf box shredding toys last night. Thoughts?

99C8A545-6D51-4FAD-BFA2-7322836C9C9D.png

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Very true.

I am in the USA. Is Planet Pleasures part of Bonka Bird because I see their stuff on their Etsy shop. I was looking into some palm leaf box shredding toys last night. Thoughts?

View attachment 39527
Looks good! My budgies would love that, for sure!

Most Reactions

Latest posts