Sick bird fairs

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Iā€™ve never been to bird fair but have been wanting to go to one for the products and to see the birds. Now Iā€™m thinking maybe itā€™s a good idea Iā€™ve never been able to go (date wise). Would buying products - perches , Toys and play stands from a fair be a bad idea because of contamination risk of going?

The reason really reputable producers of bird products keep them in warehouses away from their personal pet birds or birds in general, is because there is risk of disease via dander on toys. That is why I no longer buy toys that cannot be washed at bird stores. I HAVE bought from bird stores, but I do not buy unpackaged products anymore, given the fact that I can get the same products without the added risk. It isn't a death sentence (although it can be if you are unlucky), but I don't see any reason to take the risk, given what I know about pdd and pbfd.

Last edited:
OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
I went. Did not purchase anything.
There are exactly 3 places that I know of via extensive search, calls, etc within 3 hours of me to buy parrots of any type. Not counting budgies from petco.
4 if I go the same distance to a third state.
I don't like the idea of shipping a bird at all, and I am really limited by how far I can drive.
Or rather, get someone to drive me.

We were lucky to find Ralph, as there were exactly 3 other birds to choose from.
We stopped at 2 stores here that sell direct from breeders, hand fed in store. Literally everyone is out of everything except love birds, finches, and parrotlets. (And budgies) Strange.

There were, of course, 4 Amazons, 3 macaws, 2 Indian ringnecks, a caique, more than 10 conures, and 2 eclectus that were not for sale.

Everyone I spoke to at the fair said that the vendors were reputable breeders. Breeders even came to add color or variety to their own flock. Had a lot of conversations.

Only the second one I've attended. So, idk.

I did meet a 20 yr old macaw that seemed to take to me, so did his owner, but I had half his asking price to spend. She even sought me out to ask me to make an offer, which I could not do fairly. She did not ask anyone else to hold him, not that I saw. I really liked him, but, oh well. He was lovely. Someone has probably taken him home.

Ralph's vet called me today, he suggested quarantine be in a separate home. Totally separate air flow, including the hvac system.
That's not easy, I have people who would help, but asking them to change things like their cookware, for 45-60 days.....hmm

I'm not in a rush to bring home a second bird.
I do think we have room in our family to give another one a good home.

I'm going home tomorrow. I've been on the road more hours than not in the last day. And a 3 1/2 hour drive home. I'm tired, and disappointed, really.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I went. Did not purchase anything.
There are exactly 3 places that I know of via extensive search, calls, etc within 3 hours of me to buy parrots of any type. Not counting budgies from petco.
4 if I go the same distance to a third state.
I don't like the idea of shipping a bird at all, and I am really limited by how far I can drive.
Or rather, get someone to drive me.

We were lucky to find Ralph, as there were exactly 3 other birds to choose from.
We stopped at 2 stores here that sell direct from breeders, hand fed in store. Literally everyone is out of everything except love birds, finches, and parrotlets. (And budgies) Strange.

There were, of course, 4 Amazons, 3 macaws, 2 Indian ringnecks, a caique, more than 10 conures, and 2 eclectus that were not for sale.

Everyone I spoke to at the fair said that the vendors were reputable breeders. Breeders even came to add color or variety to their own flock. Had a lot of conversations.

Only the second one I've attended. So, idk.

I did meet a 20 yr old macaw that seemed to take to me, so did his owner, but I had half his asking price to spend. She even sought me out to ask me to make an offer, which I could not do fairly. She did not ask anyone else to hold him, not that I saw. I really liked him, but, oh well. He was lovely. Someone has probably taken him home.

Ralph's vet called me today, he suggested quarantine be in a separate home. Totally separate air flow, including the hvac system.
That's not easy, I have people who would help, but asking them to change things like their cookware, for 45-60 days.....hmm

I'm not in a rush to bring home a second bird.
I do think we have room in our family to give another one a good home.

I'm going home tomorrow. I've been on the road more hours than not in the last day. And a 3 1/2 hour drive home. I'm tired, and disappointed, really.

If you don't mind posting a general location, it's possible that other members may be able to help you locate sources.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I must mention, thereā€™s always the option of meeting the breeders at the Fair and talking to them, getting contact details and then visiting them at a later date at their own property so you can take the time and make sure everything is in order

Jan 25, 2021
With all that said, wouldn't the Vet be a sketchy place to take a pet bird? Everything from their lab coat, to the towels they use, the scale etc. With the delay in some symptoms, one would never guess. Also, they may bring in distressed wild birds all day, I know my local vet does. I was thinking about this last time I was sitting in the waiting room.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
With all that said, wouldn't the Vet be a sketchy place to take a pet bird? Everything from their lab coat, to the towels they use, the scale etc. With the delay in some symptoms, one would never guess. Also, they may bring in distressed wild birds all day, I know my local vet does. I was thinking about this last time I was sitting in the waiting room.
I've had the same thoughts. My vet has 3 parrots that stay there and they board birds a well.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

yes, the vet does hold a degree of risk and boarding at the vet is even riskier- it is (like a human doctor's office). My own vet has said so-- but less so than a bird fair, as they have special hvac systems and sanitation standards in place (as opposed to bird fairs).

Most Reactions