Sick or hormonal?

Adalisowska

Oct 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi! I have a blue Quaker named Fish and she is 5 years old. I have noticed some odd signs recently and will be taking her to the vet, but any outside input in the meantime would be helpful. The first sign I noticed was her at the bottom of her cage chewing up a dead leaf that fell from one of my plants (nesting maybe)? Then I noticed her more frequently chewing up her toys, she broke her bridge in 3-4 different places and broke a fuzzy thing to keep her warm. I also see her perching pretty low nowadays, not particularly at the very bottom but she would usually perch elsewhere before. Other times she is still perching high up, it’s about 75-25. Sometimes she will venture on the bottom of her cage and walk around screaming excessively. I mean - EXCESSIVELY. It was never this bad before and she screams over me and my boyfriend talking at any time of day, she used to be a decently quiet bird but still loud on occasion. She will often scream and flap her wings and jerk around (she did this before but it’s more frequent now, it seems like a panic attack or hormonal behavior.) I noticed one day that her water smelled funky like vomit so I changed it and it happened again, nothing since then though so I assume it was probably regurgitation. There was seeds in her water although she has a habit of washing seeds in there so I can’t say for sure she regurgitated seeds. She has never exhibited signs of hormonal behavior, but then again we are living in an apartment now where she is in my room so I keep a closer eye on her. I don’t particularly notice other signs of sickness, mostly hormonal behavior. I’m hoping this is the only issue and she is not sick, i could not see any reason she would suddenly become so “sick” and it’s mating season. She seems to be ever so slightly more aggressive than usual but it’s hardly noticeable. Any input would be appreciated though and I am happy to answer any other questions.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve never heard of a Quaker regurging in their water. Maybe you need to bleach or scrub her dish.

Otherwise a 5 yo Quaker would be expected to show some breeding behaviors especially during warm weather/ long days.

Most Reactions

Latest posts