May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My female budgie, Picasso has had really large, watery poops that aren't just her normal 'morning poop. Now, I'm going to the vet, but I want to know if people think she's sick or about to lay eggs, I have 2 males (she sleeps in a different cage, but they free roam together for 12 hours a day. She has never let a male mate with her or even regurgitate to her, and I have no hormonal triggers other than a small, not very enclosed tent for my disabled budgie, Pepper. Picasso has never gone in it. Anyhoo, here is a pic of her poop, she gets 12-14 hours of sleep a night, healthy diet, and I clean her cage every other day (now every day).
IMG_20220130_104206.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Definitely abnormal....

If you knew her normal weight you could weigh her and see the weight increase with carrying eggs.
they don't have to breed to go into egg laying mode.
My male budgies are all feeling frisky hormonal......
Lightly running a finger on lower abdomen and between legs you might be able to feel an egg if it is an egg.

I don't know, but I don't like the green urine part, that often indicates infection. But with extra urates( the white part) and extra urine the wet part..could be kidney issue? The fecal part isn't runny so not diarrhea.

Extra warmth, and extra food till you find out.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Like Laura said: extra warmth, extra food. It's not right. Do as the vet says once you can get there.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Definitely abnormal....

If you knew her normal weight you could weigh her and see the weight increase with carrying eggs.
they don't have to breed to go into egg laying mode.
My male budgies are all feeling frisky hormonal......
Lightly running a finger on lower abdomen and between legs you might be able to feel an egg if it is an egg.

I don't know, but I don't like the green urine part, that often indicates infection. But with extra urates( the white part) and extra urine the wet part..could be kidney issue? The fecal part isn't runny so not diarrhea.

Extra warmth, and extra food till you find out.
Yes, for sure. We found an avian vet and are getting her in asap. She has gained some weight, from 35 to 38 grams (and she's a small budgie). She also is so, SO tired and I'm worried about that. We're going to the Exotic and Bird Vet of New England where they have one or two CAVs. It's hard to find vets in VT.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok , wonderful that you are great and getting her in and checked out. Let us know what vet has to say.

So let's hope it's just a normal girl making eggs. If so since she has healthy diet and great care, if eggs then good chance will lay a clutch normal. For budgies you don't pull eggs ( I'm pretty sure? They lay a set number?) So I'd keep her warm peaceful with a quiet spot to lay if she wants and that's what's going on, until you get her in and checked out. Offer millet ..

I'll be thinking of you guys , and hopefully everything will turn out fine.

You getting her in promptly, and because you have already provided good care is the best

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok , wonderful that you are great and getting her in and checked out. Let us know what vet has to say.

So let's hope it's just a normal girl making eggs. If so since she has healthy diet and great care, if eggs then good chance will lay a clutch normal. For budgies you don't pull eggs ( I'm pretty sure? They lay a set number?) So I'd keep her warm peaceful with a quiet spot to lay if she wants and that's what's going on, until you get her in and checked out. Offer millet ..

I'll be thinking of you guys , and hopefully everything will turn out fine.

You getting her in promptly, and because you have already provided good care is the best
They don't lay a set number, anywhere from 2-8 eggs

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Has she shown any attention to a certain spot?

As for your question, I'm unsure.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Has she shown any attention to a certain spot?

As for your question, I'm unsure.
On her body - no, she's too tired

In the room - also no, for the same reason

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Does her belly look swollen? Does she eat excessively? Does her vent(aka cloaca) look swollen? Has she started showing aggressive behaviour? These are all signs of a budgie that is going to lay an egg.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Does her belly look swollen? Does she eat excessively? Does her vent(aka cloaca) look swollen? Has she started showing aggressive behaviour? These are all signs of a budgie that is going to lay an egg.
I don't think she has eggs, she has been eating less, skinnier, and still aggressive (per usual)

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don't know yet, we were finding a CAV yesterday (she's gotta have the best care), but my father is calling today so I'll tell you later.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

Most Reactions